Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What is possible revenue of sport news site?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 thatsme

thatsme

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:06 AM

Hi. I am thinking of running new sport news site but i have doubts if it can be profitable. It's hard to find an information in google about it. Maybe anyone here has any knowledge how much money make popular sport news sites?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:15 AM

I suspect that ESPN.com makes quite a lot of money, but that there are also many that have a negative profit.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts
  • Programming Language:C, PHP
  • Learning:Others

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

WP is right. If you're thinking about covering certain sports (as an original source), your profitability would depend on your target market plus your ability to attract advertisers for that market. This is time intensive and might require more capital than you're thinking about. However, if you're thinking about starting a site that uses RSS (or some other sources) to auto populate and then have Google send traffic to the site, I would personal advise against it, as it might take you a while to build up some traffic but lose it the instant Google (or other SE's) decide to change their algorithms against these type of sites.

Again, it boils down to what is your niche.

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#4 WendellHarper

WendellHarper

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Programming Language:Visual Basic .NET
  • Learning:Python

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:33 AM

I am sure that you are not building anything like ESPN because in order to do that you need lots of investment. Making a sports news website would not be very helpful in making lots of money but you can make reasonable money by using google adsense, but you need to post news constantly plus you also need to maintain some social accounts too like twitter , facebook. Adding some live steams and live scores would also help to get more people to your site.

Wendell Harper - Team Member at www.printingperiod.co.uk

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download