Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Sessions make a page go... White?

session

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

EDIT: Ok this is a standard mistake, its fixed now, I wonder who can spot it first?
Hello,
I have been making a site, its pretty darn awesome if you ask me (Normally I fail at visual design). Anyway its private so only my friends can access it- I use sessions to store the login data as the user moves around my site. If I visit the homepage I get redirected to my login page, then once I have logged in I get this:

A white screen!
All I know is that commenting and uncommenting the page that handles checking the user is logged in (and also commenting/uncommenting a small script that sets the user id to 1, so the site can still function without a proper login when I'm debugging) causes this white page! I have found nothing in my error logs (I will try to find some others as these only seem to have 404s and such).

Here is the login handler.
I won't upload the actual page for the sake of all our sanity but I do know it commits suicide if MySQL queries that involve the user ID fail...
<?php
session_start();
function reqLogin() {
header('Location: /login.php');
}
if(isset($_SESSION['login'])) {
if($_SESSION['login'] == true) {
$userID == $_SESSION['id'];
} else {
reqLogin();
}
} else {
reqLogin();
}
?>

Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

May you try turning errors to maximum and reproduce the problem?

The instructions are in our FAQ:
(http://forum.codecal...-questions.html # 1)

Also try to echo each step to see what is successful and where.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 njr1489

njr1489

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Have you checked your PHP error log? Sometimes it will show errors your pages won't show.

#4 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

Fixed, completely forgot how but yeah I fixed it :D
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: session

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download