Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What is Best antivirus software ??

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 johnhardy009

johnhardy009

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:22 AM

Hi all friends !
I am using some old antivirus software for my pc protection but this not properly work to block viruses .Therefor I want to purchase new antivirus software by online payment .
Give me suggestion what is best antivirus. ??

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

There are many, I personally like Avast. It has been simple to use and updates daily in the background.
Avast! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless you require more advanced features, you may not need a paid antivirus. Thankfully the free versions do most of the home stuff, for example ClamAV has a nice command line interface.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 fkl

fkl

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

I am going to second usage of avast. The only problem i found during the few years i have used the free version was it blocking and causing to hang vmware player for windows. Although there are ways provided with antivirus to configure and even exclude specific file paths / processes from being blocked. But still that problem persisted and i remember needing to switch to Virtual Box for virtual machines.

The other alternative antivirus i have used is AVG of which i have never heard bad reviews from any one and am currently using it on my windows vista HP DV5 laptop for over a year.

Though paid ones definitely have their own edge i.e. Norton's paid corporate solution is great but i have always found such software much too heavy and wasting a lot of memory.

Edited by fayyazlodhi, 07 June 2011 - 10:26 AM.
typo

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

I used the free version of AVG until I switched to Linux.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

I liked AVG, although their newer interface is hard to follow for me. Just piles of boxes of status last I checked and it was hard to find per-application settings.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#6 lethalwire

lethalwire

while(false){ ... }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and I haven't noticed any clunkiness from it.

#7 DavidO

DavidO

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Kaspersky is a personal favorite of mine, but like everyone else said there is also AVG, Avast, Trend Micro, Norton, and Bit-Defender. Its also worth noting that each anti-virus software has its own strong points, so if you happen to get a virus and your software is not picking it up you can just install any of the numerous free ones.

#8 Overkill

Overkill

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

I am using Avast anti virus and I really like it, never had any problems with it.

#9 Roman Y

Roman Y

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

Using free version of AVG like it so far, like the scan settings. The only issue that I've encountered was a couple of false positives.

#10 null

null

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

@Alexander Avast is really good I agree. But I hate it when it updates. It always plays the "Avast Antivirus Database has been updated" and I sometimes don't expect it and it freaks me out lol. My favourite is AVG. It doesn't slow down the system, it keeps out of sight and generally has an easy UI to navigate. Norton AntiVirus absolutely is a resource HOG!

#11 Jarryd

Jarryd

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hi all friends !
Therefor I want to purchase new antivirus software by online payment .

The thing about anti-virus and internet security software is, that no matter which one you use, none of them are 100%.

I would recommend Kaspersky (Kaspersky Lab United States | Antivirus Computer Security), I've been using it for 4 years now, I haven't had any troubles. It updates daily, its interface is user friendly, it has many tools to improve the security of your PC, and best of all, it lets you use your PC the way you do in piece.

Give me suggestion what is best antivirus. ??

I'd also recommend looking for Internet security, the difference between Anti-virus and internet security is that internet security has a built in firewall and instead of letting threats come straight into your system, it has a chance to get them before reaching your system.

If you do internet banking or use any confidential information online, I'd go for a paid anti-virus or internet security, although free versions do there job, you'll most likely find that they don't have built in firewalls, and if they do they'd be useless.

#12 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

free avg with the help of spybot search & destroy, and hijackthis and ad aware... until I switched to linux :D now no more problem

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download