Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Will I need more than HTML?

HTML

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sciolus

sciolus

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

Hello,

I'm new here, and to programming as well. In college, I had a few introductory courses to things like visual basic and Dreamweaver/Flash/Fireworks.

Had I not come across those classes so late in my education, I may have switched majors from communications to computer science.

Alas, things went as they did and I finished my degree on the path I was.
Recently, I've been looking for a sort of hobby. I was struck for an idea for a Web site and decided it'd be the perfect thing with which to occupy myself.

Obviously HTML is one of the necessary components, but I was hoping someone might be so kind as to advise of any other languages I should take the time to learn to properly develop my idea.

Basically, without getting into too much detail, what I want to do is have a site that is essentially two pages. The first is for user input. Sort of like the front page of Google - not that I'm attempting to build a search engine here -- just the name of he site and the space here they can type in their input. Then the second page is the response.
I want to make it so the site randomly pulls one string based on what the user types. So if they type X, and I've written it so that X could be anything from responses 1 through 5, it'll display only one of those five at random. Then I want there to also be the option to post the given response to social media sites.

Let me just reiterate, I'm in no rush here. This is intended to be a hobby, and I understand that programming and Web design are complex things.

So, is HTML alone enough or will I need a supplement language as well? Also, is anyone aware of a cheaper alternative to Dreamweaver?

#2 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Transact-SQL

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

You're going to need some form of programming language, since your idea needs to make logic decisions. This could be implemented very easily and quickly with Javascript, which would be the simplest choice since you wouldn't have to install any interpreters or cgi programs on your server, since all the code would run in the user's browser.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#3 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

I personally find dreamweaver a software that writes poor HTML and PHP, it sometimes is just easier to write it on your own (especially as your project will relate mostly to the programming portion.)

Generally PHP would be the CGI language of choice, and social networking sites often have APIs you could use so that the user can enter their information and have the message posted to their account or whatnot for even greater ease.

It should take no more than a few pages of (PHP) lines to program your application.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#4 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

PHP+Javascript can make a lovely website, especially if you have a good logical brain (eg you can sit in a room and lay out the fundamental logic for a program in your head).
Obviously you will want to know CSS.
PHP is SSI so you need to install mod php into Apache, I recommend XAMPP.
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#5 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

I personally find dreamweaver a software that writes poor HTML and PHP.

keep in mind sciolus that Dreamweaver is MUCH more than a WYSIWYG editor. You don't have to have it write code for you. I don't want to get into the details at the moment as i only have 5 minutes of leisure time left before getting ready for work. Don't let anyone turn you off of it. For the record the WYSIWYG aspect of Dreamweaver does indeed suck.
Posted Image

#6 Root23

Root23

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:09 AM

I also recommend XAMPP if you're going to test things locally on your machine. It's very easy to install and get started.

I'll second everyone else HTML - CSS - JavaScript - PHP.
Posted Image

#7 haleysalvador

haleysalvador

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

There are so many designing modules available in the market like HTML, XHTML, PHP, JavaScript and so on. I am doing web designing with the use of HTML and JavaScript but now I want to know more designing softwares. If you found something else then please post the names over here.

#8 try

try

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hello,
.... is anyone aware of a cheaper alternative to Dreamweaver?

yes, there are plenty of opensource and freeware software.
- Php designer
- Eclipse Pdt
- aptana
- gphpedit

and more... lot you can find it on search engine
btw try this Zend Studio - the leading PHP IDE - Zend.com

#9 michalrick

michalrick

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

Although its depend on requirement.
I will suggest you to go for php, css, javascript and jquery

and for local xamp is best. Everything is free and you have no need to invest even a penny

#10 jamesxavier

jamesxavier

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:09 AM

you actually need more that html! html is static, in order for your site to be dynamic, you need to use Php or the like since it allows users to interact with the site.:)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download