Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Webmatrix (IIS 7.5 express), ASP.NET 4.0 and IIS 5.1 on XP Pro?

asp.net matrix

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Upstream

Upstream

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Others

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hello everybody,

I haven't used ASP.NET and IIS for web development before. Until now I have mostly used Linux with Apache and PHP etc and thus my knowledge if configuring IIS is limited. For a little hobby project it seems a practical solution to use Webmatrix. Mostly it's not too difficult to figure out but I was thinking to run the live site on my machine as well (for the time being).

Webmatrix comes with IIS 7.5 express to run the pages locally. Is it possible to run the live site on IIS 5.1 on the same machine (XP Pro) also running Webmatrix with IIS 7.5 and if so is this even recommendable? I can figure it out myself but maybe you can save me a lot of the time and hassle with some good advice on this?

PS. Does anyone know a good free web host for ASP.NET 4.0 as an alternative?

Many thanks in advance!
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim." (Edsger Dijkstra)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download