Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      10 Apr
    Poe

Finally (and hopefully) i'm getting a team together that knows a little of this and a little of that; and maybe all my open source projects that are half written can begin to be released. :)

View All Updates
Photo
- - - - -

Multi OS Partion?

hardware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

I have a 250GB drive on my laptop, right now its got two partions:
C:-50GB and D:200GB
The C: drive has windows on it, I was wondering if I could trim my D: drive to 160GB and then install Ubuntu on a new 40GB partion.

My new partions would be like this:
C: - WINDOWS - 50GB, D: - DATA - 160GB, F: (or something) - UBUNTU - 40GB
I'd just follow the tutorials online to partion D: and install Ubuntu on the new partion (F:) then I'm assuming I could access D: from both OS's, Could I???
Sorry about that being "code" Codecall was making my diagrams smileys...
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#2 Alexander

Alexander

I do have 9 lives, you know.

• 3,836 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

You can actually just download the Ubuntu iso and place it on a USB or disk, and its installation setup will have a partitioning manager. If your 160 GBs are at the end of your partition space, then it should take nearly no time at all (no moving) to trim down 40 gigabytes and create an ext3 partition for Ubuntu.

You could as well download Gparted live distribution and place that on a USB or CD, it is a more generalized partitioning manager and may be more simple than using Ubuntu's for later work, I always keep a copy handy.

Maybe try it out and see what you can do.
Be sure to check out the new site additions - brought to you by your friendly CODECALL staff-person.
If a suggested code/method fails, informing us is less important than telling us why or what errors had occurred.

#3 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

Yeah if I put a disk into my laptop it goes RRRRRHRHRHRHHRHRHRHRHRHHR and then covers the disk in white lines!

SO wait will I be able to see my D:/ (documents) drive from both OS's
Please, write clearly with proper structure. Double spacing makes the text feel un-jointed, Capitalizing Every Word Means People Stop Before Every Word Sub-Consciously Which Is A Pain In The Backside, and use code tags! (The right most styling box).

#4 Alexander

Alexander

• 3,836 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:23 AM

Ubuntu should have a by default the NTFS3G package of which can mount NTFS partitions, so you could view the D:/ drive likely as /media/windows/ depending on how it is mounted.
Be sure to check out the new site additions - brought to you by your friendly CODECALL staff-person.
If a suggested code/method fails, informing us is less important than telling us why or what errors had occurred.

#5 bbqroast

bbqroast

Codecall Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:02 AM

The D: drive has no OS or anything just a drive containing more rubbish than a rubbish truck (and a ton of homebrewed videos!)

#6 Alexander

Alexander

• 3,836 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

It is still an NTFS partition, it can be mounted regardless of its contents as long as it is a valid filesystem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware