Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking about learning Ruby

delphi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 0Legend0

0Legend0

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

This will be my first programming language. I'm trying to decide between Ruby and Lua. For now, I'm only interested in focusing on 1.

I would like to learn a programming language that I can use to create my own software, but also use to create games. I've been looking into Lua because it's very versatile and it's scripts can be used with many different software, games, and apps. But from what I've read, it can't really do anything on it's own (for example, I can't just make my own software with Lua scripting alone). This is why I'm interested in possibly learning Ruby instead.

If I'm correct, you can create software (let's say something like Microsoft office) with just learning Ruby. I've seen many different software created using languages like Delphi and VB, but not Ruby... is it possible? Can I create software and games with Ruby? or am I wrong?

In your opinion, is learning Ruby a good idea? I've heard it's very easy to learn and I think it will allow me to create software and develop games so that's my main reason for wanting to learn this language.

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

Those two languages are fairly new to me in that they are not widely discussed about in the open where I have been, but I see absolutely no reason why Ruby should not be able to design games or graphical applications.

Most of the common game engines or graphical interface APIs you may read about are built for C++, although you are in luck and Ruby seems to have a few up its sleeve and even supports native C binding (You are free to use C++ libraries).

An example of a cross-platform window toolkit:Shoooes!
There appears to be many simple game engines, although from what I had read it appears its garbage collector may not be suitable for games that require high frames per second, so 3D games may not be what you would want them to be in C++.

Lua is a scripting language opposed to Ruby, so you may need to use a toolkit and binding such as wxLua to make graphical applications, I am sure there is a nice Lua audience from what I have seen in the past that could explain what Lua can do for games.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 0Legend0

0Legend0

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

Ok. Thank you. I definitely think Ruby is the what I should start with now. I've always wanted to learn C++, but I know it's a hard language to learn and honestly I don't think I have the patience to learn all of it anytime soon.

As far as making games go, I plan on just making a few small games for fun. It will likely be in 2D and they won't be anything too complicated. As long as I can do at least that much with Ruby, I'm satisfied.

#4 Tamachan87

Tamachan87

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

If you're looking at learning to use Ruby for games then take a look at Ruby4Kids. They have a good guide for beginners as well as being focussed mainly on making games. They aren't going to beat CryEngine anytime soon but it's a start.

Edited by Tamachan87, 31 January 2012 - 01:22 AM.