Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Aug
    KodeKool

When faced with a wall of errors and no hope to fix them, remember the following "Programs always do what you tell them to, and seldom what you want them to, but eventually you'll run out of things that can go wrong and it'll just work. and that's the secret to good programming."

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      11 Aug
    Error

Should I be practicing programming every day? I feel if I don't, I'll get instantly rusty or something.

Show comments (4)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
Photo
- - - - -

Creating a new file in CVS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DarkLordofthePenguins

DarkLordofthePenguins

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Programming Language:C, JavaScript, Bash
  • Learning:PHP, Lisp, Prolog

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Okay, I asked a question about CVS before and no one answered it, so I expect that no one on this site knows CVS and this thread will not get any responses, but here goes.

I have a coding project that I'm working on, and I'm tracking revisions using CVS. I'm working on a branch (branch1) at version 1.1.2.1.

Anyway, I created a new C file in the directory for the project, but I can't commit it. The tutorial I read on CVS said that version numbers will be assigned automatically to new files, and they will have the same revision as the latest revision of everything else. Instead, when I check the status of game.c (the new file) I get:

===================================================================
File: game.c               Status: Unknown

Working revision:    No entry for game.c
   Repository revision:    No revision control file

I have already tried releasing and checking out the project from the repository. I have already tried committing the changes to game.c. I've already tried creating the repository file manually. No matter what I do, CVS will not let me add a new file to the project. Is there any way to do this?

P.S. Please don't tell me to use a different RCS.

EDIT: I tried
cvs add game.c
and I got
cvs add: cannot add file on non-branch tag `1.1.2.1'

The standard way to do it DOES NOT WORK.
Programming is a journey, not a destination.

#2 Alexander

Alexander

I do have 9 lives, you know.

• 3,864 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

I am by far not adept with CVS yet, but try resetting the sticky tags with a "cvs update -A" command in the folder and see if that fixes it.
Be sure to check out the new site additions - brought to you by your friendly CODECALL staff-person.
If a suggested code/method fails, informing us is less important than telling us why or what errors had occurred.