#1 DarkLordofthePenguins

DarkLordofthePenguins

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Programming Language:C, JavaScript, Bash
  • Learning:PHP, Lisp, Prolog

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Okay, I asked a question about CVS before and no one answered it, so I expect that no one on this site knows CVS and this thread will not get any responses, but here goes.

I have a coding project that I'm working on, and I'm tracking revisions using CVS. I'm working on a branch (branch1) at version 1.1.2.1.

Anyway, I created a new C file in the directory for the project, but I can't commit it. The tutorial I read on CVS said that version numbers will be assigned automatically to new files, and they will have the same revision as the latest revision of everything else. Instead, when I check the status of game.c (the new file) I get:

===================================================================
File: game.c               Status: Unknown

Working revision:    No entry for game.c
   Repository revision:    No revision control file

I have already tried releasing and checking out the project from the repository. I have already tried committing the changes to game.c. I've already tried creating the repository file manually. No matter what I do, CVS will not let me add a new file to the project. Is there any way to do this?

P.S. Please don't tell me to use a different RCS.

EDIT: I tried
cvs add game.c
and I got
cvs add: cannot add file on non-branch tag `1.1.2.1'

The standard way to do it DOES NOT WORK.
Programming is a journey, not a destination.

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3,956 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

I am by far not adept with CVS yet, but try resetting the sticky tags with a "cvs update -A" command in the folder and see if that fixes it.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.