Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Should I learn HTML5 and CSS3 yet?

HTML5 HTML CSS3 CSS css3 html5

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 An Alien

An Alien

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Lisp, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

I already have a busy schedule so I don't have time to read and learn a lot of stuff. And HTML5 and CSS3 isn't supported completely with all browsers so I was wondering that if it's really worth learning right now, or should I wait? I know it's probably a whole lot easier than the previous version to make websites and has a lot more cool features but it's no good if not all browsers support it.

#2 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

Start learning HTML 4 and XHTML 1 along with CSS 2 and JavaScript and you will be very fine for now. When you've learnt "all" about that, it is time to start learning the rather different HTML 5 and CSS 3. And from your threads in php category, I suggest you try to learn more and more of basic programming skills, whatever language you use. Learn a lot more of how languages are built up and normal types of coding better.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#3 An Alien

An Alien

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

I know HTML4 and CSS2 pretty well. Not php or javascript yet.

#4 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

In short, no. There is no need for it. If you use a JavaScript framework you can get a head start on the CSS3 with the neat selectors.

I'd keep an eye out for them though. Once they come out it will still be a LONG transition before people everybody gets support for this, and they are still years in the making.

#5 An Alien

An Alien

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Well, hopefully with IE9 out, the majority of people will be using modern browsers.

#6 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

From what I remember I think the majority of browsers still use IE6

I believe this to be partly companies forcing employees not to upgrade their IE at work, due to in house software not being able to run properly.

None the less, I still make my public websites compatible with Non-JavaScript users and that's a small 3%, there's no way HTML5 and CSS3 will be that popular in years.

#7 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

The only useful thing about learning HTML5 are the <audio> and <video> selectors, so we can move to WebM or embedded containers rather than flash or embedded plugins, there are quite a few tags meant for easier semantic writability (like <header>, <summary>, <figure> which could make great ease of business document writing.)

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#8 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

The only useful thing about learning HTML5 are the <audio> and <video> selectors, so we can move to WebM or embedded containers rather than flash or embedded plugins, there are quite a few tags meant for easier semantic writability (like <header>, <summary>, <figure> which could make great ease of business document writing.)

Since I automate data mining I could see that aiding the process, however, if they are using good coding standards now it's not hard to tell what's the header or footer is, and where the actual content is.

#9 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Python

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:52 AM

I suggest you now learn javascript, followed by jquery.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HTML5, HTML, CSS3, CSS, css3, html5

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download