Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

ASP vs PHP ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MoonKeys

MoonKeys

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

Hi
I'm a new webmaster and I would like to know the differences between ASP and PHP knowing I have Visual Studio 2008.

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:34 AM

ASP cannot be run on Linux servers (which a majority of online servers are), and just that means there are less community help or resources and projects available.

I would stick with ASP only if you are advanced in something such as C# (which you can use with ASP.NET framework), otherwise I may stick with PHP.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Classic ASP is old, the last release was in 1998. The error handling is horrible, if you find source code it's always procedural. There are not very many premade libraries out there.

PHP has a much larger community, great error reporting, and you can probably find tons of premade OOP libraries to help you out. I love the documentation.

If you were actually referring to ASP.NET you are probably in luck. It's more "Professional" with a bit larger community than the Classic ASP one, yet still smaller than PHP. More of the stuff you find it OOP and there is good documentation.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Avoid classic ASP like the plague. I have the misfortune of coding in it, and it sucks. PHP or ASP.NET are much better.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 MoonKeys

MoonKeys

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

Ok, thanks for all responces.
I think I'll use Visual Studio with C# and ASP.NET. I prefer this software. I find there are much tools.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download