Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Programming Language Choice for Web Site Backend?

coldfusion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 leesiulung

leesiulung

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

I have been learning Python because I want to use Django. However, I find Python not to be so elegant when it comes to Object Oriented programming lacking encapsulation. It is also very flexible, which also leaves a lot of pitfalls that puts the onus on the programmer to do the correct thing. As a Java programmer I loathe that, but find Java to be extremely verbose. Of course this is personal preference.

Do anyone have any experience with any other languages (and web frameworks) they would recommend?

I have seriously been considering going to Ruby on Rails though and have experience with C#/VB (not the web stuff), PHP, ColdFusion, and likely others I don't recall.

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

PHP is advantageous of many great frameworks, CodeIgniter, CakePHP, kohana are a few to name that can be fairly powerful as a backend, they usually highly automate building portions of the model-view-controller pattern that requires much less code (if you wanted to go that route).

I would look at each one and see what suits your task, which is the most important portion:

http://codeigniter.com/
CakePHP: the rapid development php framework. Pages
Kohana: The Swift PHP Framework

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download