Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What Language for 3D model Experiments/Automations/Simulations

simulation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 digitaldomain

digitaldomain

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hello there!

Im not sure how to really ask this so im just going to dig in and hope for the best, maybe someone could point me in the right direction to get me started with my query.

First up, im totaly new to programming but have been using 3D modeling packages like 3DS Max, Modo and Blender for years. First up this forum doesn't seem to have a generalised area for these sorts of questions so im hoping this section is ok.

What i am looking for is a programming language i could learn to experiment with or even create actual 3D models from scratch. Say a river bed, with some stones with shader properties and specular highlights. But, to go further, what i would like to be doing eventually is to be able to perform computational experiments on 3D models using base simple formulas and somehow embed these formuals into 3D objects and then run simulations and see what happens to the objects. Automations if you will. Maybe a simple explanation is creating fractals, for example but using 3D models instead. So i would like to create program parameters based on say Mandlebrot formula and other key universal formulas and link them to 3D objects and run the simulation and see how they perform.
I watched a documentry where they had a simple 3D model of a human, they applied some simple but particular universal formulas/algorithms to it and then let the simulation take over. At first few generations the model tried to get up but fell over. Eventually at generation 12 the model was walking freely, perfectly by itself! Based on theory of order and chaos.
So instead of programming for a paritcular task to create windows applications for example, what i want to do instead is experiment. Can i create a 3D model in 3DS max, lets say a cube then apply a certain simulation to it using formula/algorithms and see what it does?
I know i have probably asked this question incorrectly but i think someone may know what it is im trying to ask. I hope.

Thanks.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:16 AM

OpenGL and DirectX can both be accessed from many languages, though only OpenGL is cross-platform.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: simulation

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download