Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Community Programming Events

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Skippy

Skippy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

Update: This thread will now dually serve the purposes of displaying the rules and basic information about the programming events, as well as serve as an index to all of the programming events.
http://forum.codecal...-event-1-a.html
http://forum.codecal...-event-2-a.html

Who?

Anyone is invited to take part in these programming events.

Simply make sure you register if you aren't registered and if you are, start posting in the threads to come (including this one)!

What?

As noted in the title this thread is about community programming events.

What does that mean?

Well, this thread and the one's I create after it will be a place where all programmers from all different languages can come together to discuss, write, fix, debug, test, compare, and comment on code. The code that we will be working with will be related to the events I will post in each thread. I will link to each previous topic and next topic in the top of each thread.

This is a place for Codecall's members to come together and participate in community events.

This is not a place to ask irrelevant questions not pertaining to the project posted.

If we gain enough participation there may also be a new board created for community programming events. It all depends on participation.

In each topic there will be a new event for members to take part in.

When?

The frequency of the events posted depends on participation level. I want to have a weekly event, maybe more, but it just depends on how many people are actively participating. This means if you are doing the projects I post and aren't registered, or aren't posting your code and asking questions, make sure you do so or else I wont feel like the participation level is high enough!

Where?

For now these threads will be posted in this Community Projects board. If we do decide to move boards I will post the link in the "next topic" at the top of the post.

Why?

To me, the only reason Q and A forums exist is because the people asking the Questions can't find the Answers on-line.

This can be because they are too lazy to use Google, don't have googling skills, or just because there is no clear answer.

In any case, this leads to a forum based around Q and A, and not around a community.

My goal for this forum is to make it more of a community rather than a tutor session. To do that, I am going to create events on weekly (or more) projects that meet everyone's common interest: programming. (At least I hope that's why you are here)

If you have any suggestions for an event or anything else pertaining to this thread please make sure you PM me.

How?

Each thread will be a separate event. They will be all related to programming, an exercise, a discussion etc. Your job is to participate!

For instance, most of the events will be programming projects. I will post instructions to an project, and you, the programming advocate you are, will ask questions if you need help, answer questions if asked by other people, code, post your code, comment(nicely) on other people's code, etc.

Any questions?....Well then, lets get started!

First event:
http://forum.codecal...html#post289470

Edited by Skippy, 21 January 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#2 Skippy

Skippy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Sorry it took so long to post this, technical difficulties...

Feel free to ask questions if you have any, and may the coding begin! :)

#3 Skippy

Skippy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

First event moved here: http://forum.codecal...html#post289470
Please keep this thread for general event questions and not questions for event 1, 2, or any other event coming up.
Those questions can be posted in their corresponding thread.

#4 NinthJake

NinthJake

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

Really nice idea. In the "Event 1" thread I see that many people are making the program from scratch rather than adding to the code posted by others (maybe that's what you wanted though)

So what about making those events not every week but maybe once a month or so and making bigger projects instead. Also the host could perhaps provide the base code which the others will add to (like coding functions or something).

Based on personal experience I know that people tend to get bored quickly if the events are hosted often so creating larger projects less often will (most likely) lead to better results and more community spirit.

I am a n00b programmer so I would probably just be in the way rather than actually helping but these projects seems like a really nice idea so I would like them to become successful :)

#5 Skippy

Skippy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

I appreciate the input.

That's exactly what I want. And I'm glad you brought that up. Everyone should be coding from scratch because these events should also be used as a learning experience for programmers. If you have questions on how to do something, that's why the thread is there, to ask questions or browse over other people's code. That was one of the reasons I did not mention, but that also made me want to start something like this. Starting programming events are going to help increase everyone's skill level.

Eventually I do want to have harder projects that are going to take more time. For the mean time I need to keep the projects easier so more people participate. But I am in total agreement that there needs to be hard projects too. Don't worry, I am working on one for the near future.

Other than that you said to code part of it which the others would add to. This would be nice if we were all using the same language. But unless I am using UML diagrams, the "base code" would not be understandable by everyone. And even if I did use UML, not all languages support object oriented programming. I think the closest I can get to what you are requesting is post specific requirements that the program must meet.

I am a n00b programmer so I would probably just be in the way rather than actually helping but these projects seems like a really nice idea so I would like them to become successful

Why don't you participate? At the moment that's the only thing we need for better success :)

#6 NinthJake

NinthJake

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

Well that makes sense I guess, still I am curious to see what the bigger projects can lead to (I'm hoping for some sort of game engine here xP)

Why don't you participate? At the moment that's the only thing we need for better success :)

I will most likely participate in the future, I just need to learn some basic coding first. I don't feel like programming anything right now though because my programming teacher is clanking down on me like sh*t because he doesn't understand that I can't spend 100% of my time on just his homework >_>

#7 justcoder

justcoder

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

great idea :)

#8 Ravzz

Ravzz

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

I am in.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download