Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Web Dev Tools

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

After working with new people I realize everybody has their own favorite set of tools to work with.

What tools do you use? What are they used for? Why do you like them?

Browsers:
IE6, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Opera

I mainly use Firefox since I use the "Error Console" and a ton of add-ons to find problems.

Firefox Addons:
Ad-block plus - If you don't want images and files on your site blocked you'll need this. I've ran into this many times where a non-malicious file is blocked just because of how it's named. Partly the users fault, however if you can you should avoid commonly blocked names.
FireBug - This seems to be a rather common one, it helps you traverse the HTML DOM, change/delete/add new elements.
Web Developer Toolbar - This has a ton of neat features like viewing all images on a page, viewing all javascript (great for hunting down functions when a site has 30 javascript files). It allows you to disable javascript, css, images, cookies. It allows you to resize your window to a smaller size or give current dimensions to make sure it fits on smaller windows. A few more, but you get the idea of how powerful it is.
Add N Edit Cookies - The web developer toolbar mentioned earlier can edit cookies but only for the site you are on, this just makes it easier to edit all your cookie information in one place, and has a ton more options.

Desktop Apps:
MySQL Workbench - For handling my MySQL databases.
Microsoft SQL Server - For handling my SQL databases.
FileZilla FTP - This could be replaced by Notepad++'s plugin for ftping
Notepad++ - For editing my source.
Photoshop - Because some people still don't realize how bad my designs are. Or how much I hate slicing.
Age of Empires - Because we all have a lunch break.

I hope this set of tools will help somebody else, and hopefully I'll find a few that I soon can't live without.

If you skipped around, to reiterate my question:

What tools do you use? What are they used for? Why do you like them?

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

I have a bad memory, but:
Firefox Addons:

Dust-Me Selectors - Finds unused CSS selectors to clean your stylesheets, useful when inheriting a web design
YSlow - Essential tool to audit your HTTP requests and provides valuable tips to speed up webpage's downloading
HTML Validator/Tidy - Extremely useful when writing, can tidy and report errors in easy to see box by hovering over its browserbar icon

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 CommittedC0der

CommittedC0der

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Browsers:
I use FireFox most the time unless I need to read a pdf, then I use Google Chrome, cause my FF freezes every time I try to open a pdf?

Firefox Addons:

currently none, but:

Web Developer Toolbar - This has a ton of neat features like viewing all images on a page, viewing all javascript (great for hunting down functions when a site has 30 javascript files). It allows you to disable javascript, css, images, cookies. It allows you to resize your window to a smaller size or give current dimensions to make sure it fits on smaller windows. A few more, but you get the idea of how powerful it is.

This one sounds interesting, Ill have to check it out.

EDIT: Wow! Very handy tool! +rep. :thumbup1:

Desktop Apps:

FileZilla FTP - To upload files to the server,
Notepad++ - To edit my code.
Gimp - Image Editor.
UwAmp - To test PHP from my computer if I need to.(which is hardly ever)
There IS a war going on for your mind.
Nothing of eternal significance happens besides prayer.

#4 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Dust-Me Selectors - Finds unused CSS selectors to clean your stylesheets, useful when inheriting a web design

I was just today talking with my boss about making a jQuery plugin to do just this. I will need to install this one!

#5 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

Well browsers I use IE, FF, chrome

Desktop apps:
----------Begin Adobe-----------
Dreamweaver - FTP, orginization, code editor, etc.
Fireworks - Prototyping, wireframing, Css and HTML creation
Photoshop - image manipulation
ConnectNow - Screen sharing, filesharing, virtual confrencing (for when i work in a team, or if I start freelancing it will be to meet with clients)
----------End Adobe------------
Caffeine - keeps my computer from going to sleep when I'm not typing but need to view a document for an extended period of time)
---------Begin Microsoft-------
excel - Db schemas
Visio - flow charting
word - team charter and other documents(when in group)
--------End Microsoft----------

Realworld Gear: Marker bored.
Posted Image

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

For browsers, I use the following:
Firefox (development addons)
IE 8 (user-base testing)
Chrome
Safari
Opera
IETester (for testing on IE5.5 - IE7)

FF addons:
Access Me (for testing site vulnerabilities)
Adblock Plus
Firebug
Firecookie
FireFTP (FTP client, very nice)
HackBar (lets me mess around with form data directly, plus a few more tools)
hashr (because MD5 hashes are handy)
Live HTTP Headers (so I can monitor issues with content-types, etc)
MD5 Reborned Hasher (if you need SHA, etc)
Regular Expressions Tester
SQL Inject Me (for testing SQL Injection attacks)
Web Developer
XSS Me (for testing cross-site-scripting attacks)

Other tools:
jEdit (I can easily customize the syntax highlighting rules for some of my odd file formats)
7-zip
SQuirreL SQL Client (I work with a wide variety of databases)
Beyond Compare
Test Mail Server Tool (acts as a mail server and doesn't send out mails, useful for doing mass testing of email functionality)
ADOQuery, MSAQuery, and HexEdit from MiTeC Tools
Dynamic Draw/Thought Tickler
OpenOffice

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

Microsoft Office - For writing specifications, and creating fancy presentations to make investors invest more money.

FileZilla
PuTTY

Chrome - Default browser. I use it for both casual surfing and development. My extensions are Google Mail Checker and AdBlockPlus. The built in developer tools are far better than (at least as good as) FireBug.
IE8 - Use it to check for CSS and JavaScript capability issues. I no longer support IE6.
Firefox 3.6.9 / 4.0b6 - Use it to check for CSS and JavaScript capability issues.
Opera - Use it to check for CSS and JavaScript capability issues.
Safari - Use it to check for CSS and JavaScript capability issues.

Photoshop - (I'm with Blaine on this one)
Zend Server CE - There is no particular reason I use this instead of other AMP stacks. However, the licensed version of Zend Server is FKING awesome. I often use Zend Studio for development, and the two integrate pretty well, but I never any of the features the IDE has to offer other than the text editor.

e Text Editor - Simple, lightweight, fast, and supports TextMate bundles, but not free. I may revert to Notepad++ when my trial expires.
Microsoft Network Monitor - Often use it for checking HTTP headers, but I also work with other protocols, so its great for debugging. It is Microsoft's equivilant of Wireshark.

Tortoise SVN - For committing code to SVN repositories. I really hate this program because I dont know how to use the GUI, but I don't use SVN enough for me to look for a command line svn client.

mysgit - For committing code to Git repositories. It has a GUI and a CLI version <3
Github.org - Free online git repositories. For those of you who use mercurial you may be interested in bitbucket

Skype - For voice conferencing
join.me - For screen sharing
37 Signals (Basecamp, Campfire, Highrise, and Backpack) - Project management and collaboration software.

MATLAB - Great for prototyping mathematical algorithms

OpenVPN - So my boss can't see when I'm on Facebook

Microsoft Subsystem for Unix-based Applications
Cygwin

Mountain Dew / Coke - Energy

I think thats it?

Edited by John, 13 January 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#8 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Has anybody picked up any tools from another list? I personally installed 6 others that I have yet to rank.

#9 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

I tried MySQL Workbench, I didn't like it. I tend to use phpMyAdmin for my day to day activities, although ironically I like SQLyog (not on my original list) more than phpMyAdmin.

#10 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

I use SQuirreL SQL Client for over 90% of my database work.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#11 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

I tried MySQL Workbench, I didn't like it. I tend to use phpMyAdmin for my day to day activities, although ironically I like SQLyog (not on my original list) more than phpMyAdmin.

The main advantage I see with online editors is accessibility. Being able to access all your tools from any computer could be very beneficial. I have a list of programs I need to install when I reformat my computer and it's getting rather long. SQLyog also appears to have some neat features.

The disadvantage I see with online editors is syntax highlighting which comes in handy when making a lot of longer queries.

Why didn't you like MySQL workbench?

The only thing I'd like is to customize keyboard shortcuts. Which neither database programs I use offer that. I'd like the "run query" command to be the same on both since going back and forth often makes it frustrating.

I also noticed it didn't keep more than one set of results up which could be helpful if you keep referencing a selection you just made.

At work I use SQL and for home projects I use MySQL, when that line becomes thinner I may check out WP's suggestion SQuirrel SQL. Looked interesting enough!

#12 ericawebdev

ericawebdev

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

Browsers:
I use FireFox most the time unless I need to read a pdf, then I use Google Chrome, cause my FF freezes every time I try to open a pdf?[B]

Look for the Foxit Reader. Acrobat used to mess up my FF as well but Foxit does it way better, plus it's free and small.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download