Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

SQL database integration

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 calm

calm

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

If 2 forums such as forum A & B are using PHP+SQL(same framework but from different companies).

Can I just move the SQL database with customer information, photos, clips into from forum A to forum B? Does SQL database fit into forum B automatically?

Guys, thank you so much in advance!

#2 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Do you mean the forums were branches from the same base? Even so I believe it would not be that simple. The companies must have done some customization before releasing their own version. However the conversion effort from one forum to the other will be relatively small.

For the first step you should try comparing the db structures of those forums. If they are all the same, then analyze the directory structures. Note that to compare db structure is not as simple as comparing tables structure. You must consider the stored procedures, views, and functions. Even if the structure is the same there is still possibility that content format also plays important role. For example perhaps originally the forum store some information in CSV format, while A retain this format, B might have changed it into XML format.

See that it's not that simple. I think the fastest way to know this is by providing the names of the forums, so someone who have done it before can provide you with definitive answer.

#3 calm

calm

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:36 AM

thank you very much for your reply. actually i am sorry for wrongly expressing, i want to transfer sql database from "discuz forum" to Elgg

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download