Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Win7 CHKDSK Freezes and can not be skipped

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

So for a while now there has been evidence that hardware on my computer was going out. This morning my computer brought up some text that said a hardware component was going out. I ran the "Repair(recommended)" option and it froze...... So I looked up a tutorial on how to test for various types of hardware problems. I first checked the memory and after it was found to be ok i tried to check the hard drive by having CHKDSK run on startup. I than reset my computer. IT gets to stage 4 of 5 (verifying file data) and it freezes at 11% . I tried it a few times and it freezes at the same spot every time. I then trie to skip it when it say "hit any key to skip .... 9" but it ignores my key press. I tried googling the problem but all solutions tell me to go into the start menu which i can not do because i can't get past the CHKDSK screen. I need to get back into windows at least one more time so that I can run adobe CS4 and disable it so i don't lose the seat if i have to replace my hard-drive.

Also: My copy of win7 was just an upgrade and my comp did not come with a serial for vista to reinstall and than upgrade again; is there a way to get it from inside of windows? (i do have the OS disk still.) . Because i don't have the money to buy windows (and no i don't want to run linux on this particular machine)

Thanks,

Zero
Posted Image

#2 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

Couldn't you get to Start windows in safe mode? That's weird. Since I too still new with Windows 7, I have no immediate suggestion. But will try shortly.

#3 mr mike

mr mike

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

I suggest using a linux live disk such as knoppix to access all of your files you need to save.
Then reinstall windows.

#4 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

I would assume it is either a process confliction or physical HDD failure, I would recommend attempting to run chkdisk from safe mode or run an official boot/recovery disk and run chkdisk from there including a full defragment afterwards.

For your question about finding the serial, I had tested this to work fine (no installation required)
http://www.winkeyfin...c2/download.php

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#5 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

@LuthfiHakim - No I can't get into safe mode, It won't go to boot options eaither?

@MR.Mike - I think I have an ubuntu live cd somewhere around here so i will try your suggestion.

@Null - thanks. I will use that if i can manage to get back into windows (wich i hope i do so that i can disable the cs4 seat)

My dad let me order an Alianware Aurora desktop pc about an hour ago (will ship the 10th of next month):c-thumbup: He will be getting my old pc and replacing the hard drive if i can get the serial number for the os.

+rep to all. I will try your sugestions ^_^
Posted Image

#6 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

I have checked several times and found that you still can skip the chkdsk by pressing any keyboard key in Windows 7. However I also found that my external USB keyboard was ignored, so I had to use the laptop's keyboard. Perhaps this is also your problem?

I also could enter safe mode before chkdsk active.

Btw congrats on the AlienWare, they build good stuffs!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download