Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Determining Non Executable Stack

stack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 s3gf4ult

s3gf4ult

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

I'm trying to learn about executing instructions on the stack, however I am having some issues with doing so and I want to determine if the stack on my system is non-executable. How can I determine this? Is there a setting in the kernel for this that I can change. I'm running an x86 version of the 2.6.36 linux kernel, arch linux specifically.

#2 s3gf4ult

s3gf4ult

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

Does nobody know or did I post in the wrong forums?

#3 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

If it is about the processor you could try reading the Intel Architecture Software Developer's Manual. I am not very sure how you try to execute instructions on the stack, though.

#4 s3gf4ult

s3gf4ult

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

Well I think I found out how to determine if the stack is non executable if your running a linux system. You simply run "cat /proc/(pid of any process)/maps and that show you the virtual memory usage and the permissions, and in my case the stack does not have the execution permission bit set, so I am assuming this means it is not executable. Now I am trying to allow my stack to be executable on my system but can't figure it out.

To answer your questions about executing instructions on the stack, if you a buffer that can be overflowed for example, and you know the layout of the stack you can overwrite the return address pointer to point to some address in the stack which you put a machine instruction in there that can then be run.

#5 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

I think this might have something to do with the protected mode descriptor tables, for the program, but I don't know how to allow the stack to be executed.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download