Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Is Design an important factor to a site success

import

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_changoo_*

Guest_changoo_*

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

Web design means to create effective interface between technology and people which allows them to present their information and use it for meaningful purposes.
Web design is a key factor for an acceptable and success of the websites, its a key factor for getting positive outcomes as it influences on users behaviours and perceptions.
A sites bounce rate is a good way to know the quality of a site design, bounce rate is the percentage of initial visitors to a site who “bounce” away to a different site rather than continue on to other pages within the same site. If a site has a low bouncing rate, its indicates that the site is attracting the right kind of audience, and that visitors are exploring the site's content.
Readability is key! a blog design can help or hurt the level of success of the blog by how it emphasizes or de-emphasizes the content. In order for visitors to appreciate the content, the design should emphasize it and not distract visitors away from it.
Effective design is crucial! A great website design engages the user, but it has less impact on the long-term success of the blog than the quality of content. Readers like to see a nice design, but content is what really keeps them coming back!

#2 zoranh

zoranh

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

I'd say that answer to this question can be split into two major categories. First regards to visitors who seek design. Second regards visitors who seek information.

In the first case, they would note a website containing articles as boring and non-innovative.

In the second case, they would note a website with commercials, flashing images, dropdown menus and other stuff as something that distracts their attention from textual content.

So in my opinion you should decide who is the target for the website and to act accordingly. Personally, I'm creating sites for the second category - for people who have particular requirements and they're searching for solutions, ideas, etc. They don't need graphics, they need text with only those images that have purpose within the text, rather than having purpose of making beauty.

I don't feel an expert for the first category, but here is one thing that I'm aware of. All graphics and active content (like PHP or ASP with database behind) create delay in having a webpage rendered in the browser. If time between click on the link and having page fully rendered is longer than very short period of time (like 1 second), user feels that as waiting. For that reason, plain HTML with minimum of graphics and minimum of client-side scripts is best solution where applicable. Even if that means that you have to write content in some tool and then to dump it into HTML, rather than scripting it. That would significantly reduce response time of your website, and create more pleasant feeling for the visitors. That would also significantly increase hit rate from web indexes like Google, because indexing is more efficient and correct with static content.

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

It's important to realize, however, that great design without useful/meaningful/relevant content is still a recipe for failure.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:48 AM

His thread was copied off 12 other forums, I am not sure what the OP's intentions are.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#5 DEViANT

DEViANT

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:28 AM

His intentions are mass confusion. Well done OP!

:D You should rep+ me so that I can win :D

My Blog | Ask me!
Error : Satan did it

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:02 AM

Flash, if not used for a specific purpose, has significant load times that annoy many users if they just wanted basic information. It is not searchable by search engines, so you do NOT want your main content in the flash, or you will lose traffic.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 An Alien

An Alien

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Lisp, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

It depends, do you like looking at ugly things? I usually like sites that are visually better. But the information/usefullness are completely different factors which are also important. If you want to be a web designer, then it's def good to learn good design techniques. But you should know a little bit of everything, design, basic SEO, etc. and the purpose of the site you're trying to create. If you want a business site, then the design is different from a gaming site. You should always make goals for what you want to design for example, what type of audience am I targeting, if it's for old ppl who like to use outdated/IE browsers, then you might want to design it for IE 5,6,7. There's a lot of different things you have to think about before creating a site.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: import

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download