Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Developed by TechBiz Xccelerator
Photo
- - - - -

Looking for ideas of how to compare data for a data matrix.

matrix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SoN9ne

SoN9ne

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, PHP, JavaScript, Bash
  • Learning:C, Objective-C

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

Hello everyone!

I am playing around with a questionnaire system and I am attempting to figure out a method to compare data between users automatically using a matrix.

Let me give a quick scenario to better understand what I am trying to accomplish.
An end-user will answer a quick questionnaire about what they want from a product.
A product vendor will answer a questionnaire about their product.
I am trying to figure out a reliable algorithm for comparing the data points and recommend a product to the end-user.

The current questionnaire will allow for data to be collected for, but not limited to, 3 points of interest. The number of points of interest are irrelevant as they are basically points to match the data in and there will eventually be more than 20. The questionnaire has the ability to assign questions to a comparison point for both the vendor and the user; it also has the ability to assign points to an answered question and, depending on the question type (radio, check, dropdown), each response can have a different point association. What I am trying to isolate is a valid means to total the points for a comparison point and then find the best products for the user.

I have never done anything like this and I am eager to learn something new. I am concerned the information may be a little confusing. So I’ll attempt to explain it a step further.

As I have stated, there are comparison points and questions are assigned to each comparison point. There are no limits to how many questions are in each comparison point or how many comparison points there can be. I assumed that a total of the points for each comparison section could be compared against each vendor in the system but I am concerned that this will be flawed and perhaps not work efficiently at all. I am trying to have an unbiased comparison but I simply lack the experience with a tool of this sort. Any experience or expertise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and hopefully someone can push me in the right direction.

p.s. – I did look into the Pearson significance object but I was not sure if this is the proper way to handle this as I simply have never used it before and am not sure if it can be used for my questionnaire. Also, this is not a homework assignment so please don't assume this; I am simply trying to get feedback and suggestions from others.

Thanks again :)
"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code."

#2 WingedPanther

WingedPanther

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17,279 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

It really depends on what the nature of the questions are going to be, whether different questions will have different weights, etc. Basically, you're looking to calculate a "similarity index".

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 DEViANT

DEViANT

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

Personally I would go with words and phrases rather than going with integer values.

:D You should rep+ me so that I can win :D

My Blog | Ask me!
Error : Satan did it

#4 SoN9ne

SoN9ne

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, PHP, JavaScript, Bash
  • Learning:C, Objective-C

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for both of your replies!

Actually, I am doing a similarity index (thanks WingedPanther) but there are aspects of the questionnaire that do rely on words and phases.
This is turning into a fun but difficult project!
"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code."