Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Any Way to use MS Word's Ability to deal with PDFs? Convert PDFs?

pdf

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ibad

ibad

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

Hi,

I need to convert a pdf document to something else: either HTML or RTF.

Ofcourse you can copy text including formatting and tables from a pdf using Acrobat and paste it into Word or some other editor. Word also lets you save a docx file as a pdf. So I was thinking that maybe Word has some capability to convert pdfs to doc or something else?

If not, does Acrobat convert the text to some formatted "standard" format when we Copy?

Most of the tools I have worked with have flaws and bugs. None are able to convert a pdf to HTML or RTF accurately in 100% of cases. Some have trouble with underlines, others have trouble with bullets or line breaks in some documents (normally filings taken from the SEC's EDGAR service).

Is there any way for another application to call or use MS Word or Acrobat's ability to export to/from pdf? Are there any accurate converters that you guys know of?

Also.... is pdf even remotely human readable? I looked at some pdf files in notepad and it does not seem so. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

If the document isn't protected, OpenOffice has a PDF import plugin that may be useful.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 ibad

ibad

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

If the document isn't protected, OpenOffice has a PDF import plugin that may be useful.

Can the plugin be accessed from another application? What format does it import to? I need something that can be automatically accessed by code from another application.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pdf

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download