Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Complete Guide to Setup a Linux Server - Part 1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ethikz

ethikz

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Part 1 : Pre-Installation

If you don't have Ubuntu Server then you should download it. I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. You need to know if your processor is 32 or 64 bit before decided which to download. To determine what kernel and CPU architecture in Linux, simply type the following code from the terminal:

For Kernel 32 or 64 type: (just copy and paste)
uname -a

My output: Linux ethikz-laptop 2.6.35-22-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Sun Oct 10 09:26:05 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux (states that I have a 64 bit Kernel). If you see i386-i686 then you need a 32 bit kernel.

For CPU 32 or 64 type: (just copy and paste)
grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

My output: flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm

LM - Long Mode = 64 bit
Protected Mode = 32 bit

Once all of the above is determined then you can proceed with setting up a Linux Server.

Note: The Server version will not install a Graphical User Interface

To install a GUI you can just run the following command from your terminal (after installation): (just copy and paste)
sudo aptitude install x-window-system-core gnome-core

To install a GUI login then you can install GDM as well.

Part 2 to follow shortly

Edited by ethikz, 13 October 2010 - 02:27 PM.

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

A few mistakes. You say "then you have a 32 bit kernel." which should mean "then you need a 32 bit kernel". The first two commands are not copy-pastable, the dollar symbol (i.e. '$') confuses bash if the user is a beginner.

Also: Where would you download the server from (which is different than the client), and which .iso on the FTP server would be the 32 or 64 bit variant?

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 ethikz

ethikz

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

A few mistakes. You say "then you have a 32 bit kernel." which should mean "then you need a 32 bit kernel". The first two commands are not copy-pastable, the dollar symbol (i.e. '$') confuses bash if the user is a beginner.

Also: Where would you download the server from (which is different than the client), and which .iso on the FTP server would be the 32 or 64 bit variant?

oops...thanks i fixed the minor errors from your first paragraph

To download Ubuntu 10.10 server you can go to Ubuntu 10.10 Server
From there you could just click the bottom drop down and choose 32 or 64

#4 jaffemutant

jaffemutant

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

im using bash any suggestions as to get more into the complexity of the os?

#5 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

im using bash any suggestions as to get more into the complexity of the os?

The Ubuntu forums has a nice thread of tutorials, be sure to scroll down for more:
[ubuntu] illustruted complete guide for using bash shell - Ubuntu Forums

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download