Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

C Programming Challeging question..Please Help!! T.T

nested loop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SamTheGreat

SamTheGreat

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hi experts,

This is my college project..i have tried it a lot of times but compilation keeps failing and i have run out of idea...please somebody if u see this..please give a helping hand...i appreciate very very much if someone could help...the question is as follows:

• Define a structure with the following data members:
• studid (use char array of 10 elements to store the Student ID)
• lectatt (use int array of 14 elements to store 14 weeks of lecture attendance).
• Use the preprocessor directive to define constants for elements in both arrays.

• In main() function :
• Declare an array of structure variable mystudents with 7 elements. Use the preprocessor directive to define the constant for this array also.
• Declare a pointer to a file called input_file.
• Declare and initialize the following arrays of variable.
o hours_attended (total hours attended for each students)
o att_percentage (the percentage of attendance based on the assumption that students need to attend 2 hours of lecture every week)
• Use the fopen() function call to open a file named attendance.dat for read only and assign the return value the pointer of the input_file.
• Check whether the attendance.dat can be open or not.
• If the file can be opened, use a nested for loop the insert data in the array of structure mystudents.
o Use the outer for loop to read the Student ID and insert the data into the structure array.
o Use the inner for loop to read the attendance where each number represent the number of hours attended.
• Close the input file.
• Create another nested for loop just like the first nested loop to get the total hours attended and get the percentage (assuming that students need to attend 2 hours every week for 14 weeks).
• Use the last for loop to display the Student ID and the attendance percentage for each student.

Thanking you in advanced, and best regards,
C programming Student

#2 SamTheGreat

SamTheGreat

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

pls help...

#3 Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, Python

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

struct structure_name {
    char data1;
    int data2;
};

int main() {
    struct structure_name my_structure;    // instance of structure_name structure
    my_structure.data2 = 42;                   // you access elements of structure with dot operator
}
This is how structures are defined: start with keyword struct then it's name and inside curly bracets place members/properties/data... Don't forget that structures end with semicolon!
#define SOME_CONSTANT 5
#define MAX_ELEMENTS 10

int array[MAX_ELEMENTS];
This is how you define constants with preprocessor directive.

FILE* pFile;  // file pointer
pFile = fopen("rename_me.txt", attributes);  // first argument is file name to open, second are arguments
                                                                // arguments are "r" for read only, "w" for write and create new, "a" to append
                                                                // and "rb" to read binary files, "wb" write binary files

fprintf(pFile, "Hello, my name is %s\n", "insert-your-name-here");   // writing to file in a printf style

fclose(pFile);    // don't forget to close the file
2 useful functions for binary files are fread and fwrite

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.

#4 SamTheGreat

SamTheGreat

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

Thanks alot flying dutchman, your advise helps alot..
I've figured out the solution and get it done on time..
Thanks alot!

Best and Warmest Regards,
SAM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nested loop

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download