Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Practical C Programming

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

Any reviews on this book by O'Reilly, from a beginners standpoint?

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

It teaches IDE use and debugging, as well as many untouched features in the moot quality beginner books I had reviewed before, which are useful to a (real) programmer. I would personally purchase it if I had written atleast a somewhat full program before, maybe not absolute beginner.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

Any suggestions on how to begin as a total"noob", that doesn't require going to a class( can't afford classes ATM)

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?

#4 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

This is usually recommended in university (intro courses) for its simplicity but depth
Amazon.com: C Programming Language (2nd Edition) (0076092003106): Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie: Books

A sample chapter (one of the beginning ones):
http://www.informit..../0131103628.pdf

It's from 1988 but it is in its prime (C is an old language remember, C++ may be easier for you..)

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#5 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

Yeah I have that book (haven't read it yet) but it is a highly recommended book so I'll dabble in that first, and I am aware of the whole c vs c++ thing but cause of my stubborn ways I am going to learn C, C++,C# and i Know c and c++ are complete opposites but correct me if I am wrong but having a little knowledge in C already shall put me a step ahead in C++ ( cause their syntax's I believe it is, are kind of similar??)?

#6 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

You will most definitely be able to use all your knowledge from C in C++, C++ is an OO language with a somewhat comprehensive standard library with useful classes, so it is naturally a good choice for specific projects over C. I would not learn C# unless you wish to do .NET stuff, It's a microsoft-only language, and was meant to be a competitor for Java, not another "C"-type language

#7 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

Ah, well you've just taught me something new! Why thank you! :)

#8 mrlemke

mrlemke

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

Stanford has some resources on C that I found rather useful as a complete beginner. I find that it is rather easy to "get into" and begin learning. They have stuff on pointers, linked lists, the essentials of C, and binary trees. They also have some stuff on Perl and Unix programming tools.

Stanford CS Ed Library

Also, C and C++ aren't complete opposites. They may use different programming paradigms, but C++ is built upon C. Didn't you ever hear how C++ was originally "C with Classes"?

#9 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

^ that is what I meant, and thank you for the resources. ;)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download