Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Too many OSs...need to delete one asap~

setup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tonyobyo

Tonyobyo

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Programming Language:JavaScript, Others
  • Learning:C#, Python

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hi everyone. I had Vista by default on my laptop and installed the newest version of Ubuntu...I needed to do a reinstall of Ubuntu over the old one...however, it just installed another Ubuntu so now I have 1 vista and 2 ubuntus and I wanna get rid of one of the Ubuntu OSs on my machine...help?

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

Use a partitioner to delete the old Ubuntu partition, this is safe as long as your installation's GRUB points to vista and the new Ubuntu (which is true provided you reinstalled GRUB with the new Ubuntu partition)

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 Tonyobyo

Tonyobyo

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

what about formatting the recovery drive? is that safe or no? I mean at first glance it doesnt sound good but I was reading up on it

#4 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

I'm with NW here, I'd just delete the old one... of course I'd also resize one of the other ones (how did you get 3 anyways?).

You -could- reformat the recovery drive, and it's perfectly safe but it's so much easier to recover/format the windows partition (assuming that's the one it's for) and I would hate to do it via cd and finding drivers if it crashed. That would be a pain.

#5 Tonyobyo

Tonyobyo

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

well I had vista, installed ubuntu. there was something wrong with the first version of ubuntu so I wanted to install another ubuntu OVER it but it installed it next to it...unless I just dont understand the way the GRUB display is showing each os I have...it seems like there's 2 sets of ubuntu OSs

#6 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

GRUB should be correctly set up. verify with sudo fdisk -l which partition is the old Ubuntu, then you can remove that one using anything you like, you may be able to do it in Ubuntu because the old one will not be mounted.

Look in the GRUB manual on how to edit entries (to delete the old one) after.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#7 Milyardo

Milyardo

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

If hes using the latest version of Ubuntu then he would be using GRUB2, which can autodetect installed Operating Systems. He should instead just run the update-grub command and have GRUB autoconfigure new menu entries for him.

#8 Tonyobyo

Tonyobyo

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

well Im not super familiar with how to use Ubuntu, yes I have the newest one (10.4?) and im trying to learn how to use it...I have gparted I think on there and another partition editor...so what steps would I take to figure out which partition is the old Ubuntu and how to delete it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download