Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

another "which distro" thread.

setup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hey guys and gals,

I found my old laptop from back in high school today. I plan on wiping off WinXP which is on it at the moment and installing Linux. I do not want to use Ubuntu as I have used it in the past and for some unknown reason did not like it much. I want a distro that requires me to use the terminal/command line/ whatever its called on linux; on a fairly regular basis (to help me learn the commands) . I plan on setting up a testing "server" on it (LAMP). I mainly want to use this as a sand box so that I can gain experience in seting up and fixing problems with web servers so i can add it to my resume' . What distro should I use for this?

Edit: I'm downloading Fedora right now. It will take a while and i have to go do yard work so if any one has a better suggestion I would love to hear it.

Edit2: Posting this from Fedora. Seems to look a lot like Ubuntu so far. I was hopeing for something more command based. I was going to try slackware but could not find the download on the official site. oh well will give this a shot.

Edited by zeroradius, 09 September 2010 - 01:55 PM.

Posted Image

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

Slackware comes to mind. Puppy and Dam(n) Small Linux are also options.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

Thanks WP,

I checked out slackware before I installed Fedora. I actually wanted to go with slackware to begin with but all I could find was the 6 disk set that cost around $50. I figured it was enterprise like redhat. I re-checked the site just now and found the free downloads so i think i will download it and try it via VM ware before I install it.

I tried Puppy via VM Ware before and did not like it too much.

DSL does look good, I am seriously thinking about trying to put it on my Nintendo DS (or maybe a USB drive), I may put it on the laptop if slackware does not work out.

Thanks again,
~Zero
Posted Image

#4 DEViANT

DEViANT

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

Have you had a look at FreeBSD releases? The FreeBSD Project

Most of the server based distros are command line with a web-interface.

You can also consider zentyal (ebox) Zentyal - The Linux Small Business Server

Both widely used for servers in the business industry

:D You should rep+ me so that I can win :D

My Blog | Ask me!
Error : Satan did it

#5 mang0

mang0

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Learning:Python

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

If you really, *really* want something that will help you learn commands, try Gentoo.
I warn you, make sure you have a lot of time and another computer with internet access available before you do try.

I would suggest perhaps installing from Debian Netinst, or perhaps you could find a minimal install ISO of Linux Mint (I'm not sure they do one, but I would be surprised if they didn't!).
I personally run Debian Sid on my desktop, and ArchLinux on my laptop.
Both are alledgedly unstable, but I've never had any problems that have rendered my system unusable from either.

#6 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Your suggestions are all good but the topic is two years old, and I'd assume the OP made his decision by now. Occasionally threads like this get bumped up by spammers, and once we remove their posts, we find people assuming it's a recent topic and reply to it accordingly - so to avoid further confusion I've locked this topic now :)

fss_overall.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download