Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

(Help Needed) Uninstall Perl 5.10 and Install 5.8 on Ubuntu 10.04

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skumar1

skumar1

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

Hi All,

I was using Ubuntu 8.04 with installed Perl 5.8.8. I had installed Bugzilla 3.4.4 with some custom scripts and it was working fine. I had to upgrade Ubuntu from 8.04 to 10.04 and automatically Perl is also upgraded from Perl 5.8 to 5.10. Now accessing Bugzilla displays error message related to Perl module. While trying to run checksetup.pl, I am getting following error message :
root@cvsnew:/var/www/bugzilla-3.4# perl checksetup.pl
This is Bugzilla 3.4.3 on perl 5.10.1
* Running on Linux
2.6.32-24-generic-pae #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 07:39:26 UTC
Checking perl modules...
Checking for CGI.pm (v3.33) ok:
found v3.48
perl: symbol lookup error:
lib/i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi/auto/Digest/SHA/SHA.so: undefined
symbol: Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr

Accessing Bugzilla throws :
"500 Internal Server Error".

I explored this issue and found that this issue has come up because upgrading Ubuntu upgrades Perl 5.8 to 5.10 automatically. It seems like Perl 5.10.1 isn't binary compatible with the previous.

Now, I want to uninstall Perl 5.10.1 and Install Perl 5.8.8 on my Ubuntu 10.04 box. I will appreciate if someone has already done that or share the required steps/commands to do it. Thanks for your quick response.

Regards
Kumaar

#2 Milyardo

Milyardo

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

It doesn't make much sense to downgrade to an unsupported version of Perl, to accommodate an unsupported version of Bugzilla. What preventing you from installing a more recent version of Bugzilla?

#3 skumar1

skumar1

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for your reply. I want to use this machine as Bugzilla test server. As I am running production Bugzilla with version 3.4.4 and Perl 5.8, I have to keep same version of Bugzilla and perl. There is no immediate plan of moving production Bugzilla to most recent version of Bugzilla (i.e. 3.6.2).

Kindly let me know : Is there any command to uninstall Perl 5.10 from Ubuntu 10.04 so that I can fresh install perl 5.8. I am very sure that it will keep my Bugzilla and other application happy.

#4 Milyardo

Milyardo

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:32 AM

In order to reinstall Hardy's version of Perl, just add the 8.04 repositories to your APT sources and pin Perl(Ubuntu -- Details of package perl in hardy) and pin all of its dependencies to their Hardy version using apt preferences(AptPreferences - Debian Wiki).

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download