Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

CodeCall Connections thread (yahoo or msn)

connection

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 atheium

atheium

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

anyone who would like to chat with me via yahoo or msn just send me a pm with your details.. anyone else wanted to make connections post here.
11ism.com <my meaningless empty website, HORAH now with link! (thx gamemaker)

#2 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts
  • Programming Language:C, PHP
  • Learning:Others

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

I think you can add your (IM) contact in your profile so they'll show up below your avatar on the left. Is that what you're trying to do?

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#3 atheium

atheium

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

well that and i think creating a stronger bond between regulars would help keep the forum goin. ya know instead of just being posting peeps would be interconnected friends. more of a network then just a bunch of randoms posting can you help meeee threads.

#4 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

Good idea.. I like it! :)
I tried to integrate a chatting platform on CC, but the code was very sluggish. I wonder if there is something that we can run that'll achieve what you're asking for.

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 TeenChristian

TeenChristian

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

Would this be of any use? I like that idea as well!
My Personal Blog l Learning C++ l I'll be famous soon enough.

#6 atheium

atheium

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

theres a variety of embedded chats that wouldn't hamper bandwidth or anything man. i would love to see at least a clickable chat room to chill with you guys in

#7 TeenChristian

TeenChristian

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

It would be cool to have a slide out chat box that you could access from anywhere on the forums. It could have different chat rooms, for instance. If you needed help finding something or knowing where to put something you could go to a "navigation help" room. Or if you where new you could click on the "new people" chat room where a more interactive meat and great type thing could go on. And you can't possibly forget the "lounge" room. That could be random stuff away from important questions and comments.

This would be great!
My Personal Blog l Learning C++ l I'll be famous soon enough.

#8 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

One of the other sites I had been on maniacally had a hosted IRC serv. It was nice for general conversation. It's a good idea

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#9 lor

lor

Programming Goddess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

Yeah we used to have an IRC server but no one used it, I went on it like once and there was no one on there. I used to run an IRC server with a friend of mine, bitcast, tried joining up with Jordan a while back to see if we could get more members to use IRC but he didn't want to. Doesn't run now though and I haven't used IRC for God knowzzzzz how long, someone should get one started - I'd totally be up for it. :)

Bitcast is pretty much an empty network that runs on iintens' servers. The only thing it is good for is for hackers to run their secret botnets - sometimes a few people drop by and dramachat - irc.bitcast.ws

LOL fail IRC, I tried at least.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#10 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

How about I put back the Wibiya toolbar with just the chat program (and removing most of the heavy apps - facebook, twitter, etc.)? It had a chat programs we can try out. When I tried it out with John a few weeks ago, the main downside to the program was that it doesn't have any sounds (or at least we couldn't find it).

@Nullw0rm: I'll put the code back in. Can you run a quick profile like you did for http://forum.codecal...g-codecall.html and see if it's lighter without the other apps?

#11 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:16 PM

I'll dump the essential benchmarking for you to pick at of the Wibiya guts
Files:
Toolbar: 257KBs (4000+ lines) with latency of 2.8s
JQuery: 72KBs with latency of 1.2s
CSS footprint: 29 + 8KBs latency of 1.1s + 0.5s
Loader: 6KBs @ 4.3s
Iframe: 0.4+12KBs @ 4.4s

HTTP requests:
Images of icons:
-- 22 HTTP requests
Files:
-- 5 HTTP requests

Caching reduces overall requests to 2, cache life is three days.

Thoughts: In reality it is a negligable impact for screen state, but browsers with low cache throw/miss and lazy frame drawing (prior to Firefox 3.6) may cause some juttering while moving the page around, people's thoughts on performance will vary.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#12 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

Okay, I'll keep it over night and see if we get any other feedback. I'll also monitor the board to see if enough happens on it to justify the extra size.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download