Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Any alternative to AJAX?

ruby ajax

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dbk

dbk

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

Hi

Hope this is the right place to post, no general programming under webprogramming!

I'm new to programming but has got a good grip on PHP, CSS, HTML, because I want to make a webapplication. Now I can see that javascript is needed to make AJAX calls, to make the application more "smooth".

The downside to this is different code that is mixed into each other, and same calls typed for different browsers... I hate that, and I find it hard to accept that the code is a mess with the small javascripts all over!

But.. is there any alternative??

As fare as I can see it seems that Java is the only alternative because the code can be run "everywhere" also on the web via the virtual machine most people has installed!

Therefore I'm also looking at Jruby and Jython that can be compiled to bytecode and run on virtual machine.

Is this a alternative to AJAX?
Are there any other solutions where one language can be run on the web server and client?

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

If you're looking for compatibility then the JS with the XMLHTTP (AJAX) object route is the best method you can go. I'm not aware of any method of manipulating object while the page is already output to the browser, other than Flash or Java (like you mentioned) which would actually in end be significantly slower, as well as preventing the user usability (copying, etc.).

Why are you wanting to move client functional programming to more offline solutions?

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 dbk

dbk

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

Hi NullwOrm

Why are you wanting to move online functional programming to more offline solutions?

Well.. that is also my dilemma, because I like the app to be as online as possible!

I just don't like the code mixing with AJAX, and I hate the browser compatibility problem that only can be solved with extra coding!

I know that the problem comes from the HTML that only is made as a static language. That Is why I was looking for a "easier" solution! (maybe I'm lazy :-)

#4 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

I just don't like the code mixing with AJAX, and I hate the browser compatibility problem that only can be solved with extra coding!

To be truthful the code required for most AJAX applications (Especially when you use AJAX libraries, frameworks such as jQuery, ExtJS) they are quite beautifully documented and extendable, which is coded in a common style in any web language.

You may wish to look into those if you want to adhere to correct coding and extend a dynamic application off of it, it is far from "ugly hacked up code"!

You may be interested in jQuery's statement for browser support:
http://docs.jquery.com/Browser_Compatibility

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#5 manux

manux

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

Yes jQuery is extremely helpful, but if you still don't want to code in too much in Javascript/AJAX, making interactive content with a Java applet is not impossible. Last I looked Javascript could easily call Java functions(of the applet) and vice-versa.

#6 dbk

dbk

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

Well.. Thanks for the replays!

I guess I have to stick with the fine HTML, CSS, PHP, JAVASCRIPT, combination!

I will focus on event handling in JavaScript and the heavy tasks in PHP.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download