Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

libgc tells me "Absurd stack bottom value"

stack

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Groogy

Groogy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:39 AM

Hi!

I'm trying to use the Boehm Garbage Collector C++ version for my project. I am about to attend to The Game Assembly(Professional University in Sweden) and they work in Windows with Visual Studio so I worked in that environment to get used to it. Anyway the problem is that it works perfectly in Windows oddly enough, but when I try to run it(compile works) in Linux I get this error message on the first call to gc:: operator new.

"Absurd stack bottom value"

If I just do a simple test application with the GC library it works. So it seems to be limited to my application. Though I don't know what I could have done to change whatever value it's talking about.

If you need any other information like source code just ask.

#2 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

Yeah, source code would be helpful.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#3 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

It seems newer versions of the garbage collector try to determine the stack base address by inspecting /proc/self/stat, which (PaX) clears so libgc halts and gives up. You should be able to recompile libgc with -DUSE_LIBC_PRIVATE telling the libarary to get the address field out of libc from __libc_stack_end. Just a thought.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#4 Groogy

Groogy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

Yeah I read that but the thing is that it works in other projects on my Linux but not just that one. It's my Madness Script project which is a simple language and I wanted to add a garbage collector to it.

Anyway here's the project. It might be quite large to just go trough. Since I made the new version(2.0.0) I haven't documented it properly and the code feels like it just are mixed together in a wizards pot.

If you can explain better how I could have made so that just for this particular instance the garbage collector aborts, I can give you source concerning something similar.
If you can't come up with such a solution, I'll try with Nullw0rm's solution that they used for some kernel.

#5 Groogy

Groogy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

Sorry to resurrect this dead thread. But I tried going with Nullworms method and added the -DUSE_LIBC_PRIVATE flag to the makefiles DEFS variable. It compiles just fine but I get the problem of that when I run 'make test' that it fails. I compiled normally and the test worked. But with the flag it complains about "undefined reference to ..." and some different GC_ functions. So seems like doing this makes it not compile all the methods wanted?

Or I might be doing it wrong. There's first a ./configure and after that make so is there a way to add the -DUSE_LIBC_PRIVATE flag trough the CLI without having to go in to the makefile itself and add it? Might just be that I'm adding it at the wrong place.
My Code Blog - My Github - Ascension Project - Madness Script Project - Simple-Garbage-Collector Project
There is bound to be something useful somewhere.

#6 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Looking at the man pages for make, I think you're going to have to modify the makefile.

Edit: Please really try not to resurrect old threads.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download