Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Aug
    KodeKool

When faced with a wall of errors and no hope to fix them, remember the following "Programs always do what you tell them to, and seldom what you want them to, but eventually you'll run out of things that can go wrong and it'll just work. and that's the secret to good programming."

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
Photo
- - - - -

Damaged USB Plug

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,495 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hey all,

So I was recently involved in an accident which resulted in me landing on my laptop on the floor. My laptop sustained some damage, but my flash drive took the brunt of it. The actual chip is fine, but the USB plug is bent up at a 90-degree angle. The leads are all still attached; it's just that the contacts slid back down the plug, and I can't really get them back up. Any ideas how I could get the data off?

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#2 WingedPanther

WingedPanther

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17,004 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

What if you stripped the head of a USB extension cord and attached the exposed wires to the slid contacts?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,495 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hm...maybe. I'll have to find one, though. Can't really order stuff online right now.

#4 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,495 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

*bump*
I got the stuff off from my Ubuntu partition, which I thought was corrupted. Apparently the data is fine, but it won't boot. My theory is that the kernel is shot; I really don't want to reinstall the OS, so I'm trying to find a kernel image on the LiveCD. No success so far, though. Suggestions?

#5 WingedPanther

WingedPanther

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17,004 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

Is it the Kernal, or your bootloader?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#6 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,495 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

The bootloader's fine, and the kernel appears to be okay. I've gotten it to boot and run, but it takes roughly ten minutes, most of which is displaying disk read errors. I'm guessing it's a head crash.

#7 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4,450 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:07 AM

Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 has given me numerous disk read errors on perfectly fine hardware.

#8 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,495 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

Yeah...but now I can't update anything because apt-get gags, saying there was an IO error while opening the cache. It also randomly locks up for a minute or two, during which the disk busy light is on, but no sound comes from the drive. Odd thing is, my Windows partition works just fine as far as I know.

#9 Guest

CC Devotee

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, Python, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Scheme

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

I know I'm a bit late, but I'm just wondering, have you run fsck on your Ubuntu partition?
Root Beer == System Administrator's Beer
Download the new operating system programming kit! (some assembly required)

#10 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,495 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

Yep, from the live CD. Huge number of errors, but they got fixed. Ubuntu is still trashed, but I don't want to reinstall it just yet until I get all of my stuff backed up onto a remote server. (It trashed another USB drive I was using because it crashed while I had it in there.)