Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How often you run Linux on Live CD?

setup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Irfan_A

Irfan_A

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

Several days ago, i run Ubuntu on my laptop via Live CD. I have do it approximately 2-3 times a day. I run Fedora via Live CD too. I run it once. After that, i want to run Ubuntu again. Unfortunately, my DVD room couldn't read my DVD that contains Ubuntu ISO.

My question, how often we should run via Live CD? In a day? And how is your DVD room condition after run via Live CD? Are you have same condition like me?

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:45 AM

The life span of a written disc depends upon a number of factors including such things as the intrinsic properties of the materials used in the disc’s construction, but regardless it should be more than enough to run a Live CD two or three times per day for half a year atleast if properly treated, The CD will not degrade and fail to work unless it is abused.

I would like to ask why you are using Live CDs so often, they are meant for temporary work or for previewing an operating system, Why don't you settle with an actual installation and let the dense magnetic disk that is the harddrive handle the abuse?

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 Irfan_A

Irfan_A

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I run Linux via Live CD for previewing an operating system. I am new to Linux, i want to see them one by one maybe and learn anything about them, so i decided to run it via Live CD. If i feel good with one of them, i think i will install it. :)

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

One thing you'll miss out on: the package management system. If you can't install packages, it's a lot harder to compare them :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 Irfan_A

Irfan_A

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

So, i should to install it than run it via Live CD?
Is Installed version more powerful (like package management system like you say) than Live CD?
And can i uninstall it safely without damage my Windows if i want to install other Linux Distro?

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

If you install (no need for Live CD), you can replace the partition that has the Linux install with a new Linux distro without disturbing the Windows partition.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

If you install (no need for Live CD), you can replace the partition that has the Linux install with a new Linux distro without disturbing the Windows partition.

Well, Windows may freak out that the MBR has changed, but it's as simple as allowing it to do its chckdsk. :P

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#8 Irfan_A

Irfan_A

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, i hope i am better to install it.
Ubuntu is my first target, next is Fedora. Next...?? In my mind now is LinuxMint.

#9 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:53 AM

Choose one you like, there's no point in cycling 100+ distributions if they all run the same package managers and GUIs.

#10 Irfan_A

Irfan_A

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:46 AM

Yup, now i install Ubuntu in my Windows. If i want to install other Linux Distro, i will uninstall Ubuntu first.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download