Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

simple ascii decode program

ascii

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1988

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:20 AM

OK, I'm really new to all this, so I need help.
One of the methods I need to program needs to decode a simple ascii input using preassigned decode String: here's the example of what it needs to do:

Posted Image

In this example I have simple text input with some random characters (cbdacsia...) and decode string (3102). Input text is then cut into 4 char blocks (number of characters in decode string). To decode this input, I need to rearrange place of the characters input according to the decode string ( ie. "c" is located on position "0"; in string decode "0" is located on third position, after which "c" is placed on this new position)

It's really simple, and I think it can be programed in matter of minutes, but I'm newbie and I really need help. I'd really appreciate any help, so I can at least start programing this method.

btw, real text input is much larger and decode string varies. Decode string also shouldn't contain two same numbers/chars.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help

EDIT: better use long instead String for "decode"

Edited by 1988, 07 April 2010 - 05:04 AM.

#2 semprance

semprance

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

Smells like homework...

#3 ZekeDragon

ZekeDragon

CC Leader

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1263 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

What have you got so far? Have you made an attempt at solving this problem?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download