Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for Software/Toolbars Bundling Deals

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pad

pad

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:15 AM

Hi guys,
If you have a software distribution operation (can be coder, player, toolbar whatever) and you want to better monetize it then I have an offer for you.
We have a new browser addon that we are looking to bundle with software installers - the addon is not a spyware, malware or anything in that kind.

PM me if you are interesting.

Thanks.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:47 AM

I would never participate in this. I always feel this makes the software that is bundled look lame.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 pad

pad

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:55 PM

Why? This is good for both sides. The main software can be distributed free while still support the developer while the bundled software (while it is not a malicious one) get to have more users. It is good money for both sides and good for the users as they get free software.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

The reason I wouldn't do this is that I NEVER install the bundled software. It's always junk that will clutter my system. As a result, I immediately assume any bundled software is junk. If I included my software as bundled software, I would be admitting, in my own mind, that my software is junk.

Similarly, my opinion of software is always lowered a notch when they force me to opt out of the extra software. I realize this is getting more common, but I wish they would at least make it "opt in" instead of "opt out". Yahoo toolbars and Google toolbars are particularly obnoxious.

#5 pad

pad

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:45 AM

I can not truly say I understand your point. There are some addon out there which are not junk (we consider ours as one:) )
As for the problem you mentioned, our addon is very straight forward and what you see is what you get.
The addon itself does not steal any of the user's search or 404 pages. It does not take over your homepage or anything in this sort.
All software bundles our addon are being checked by us to see that they put a check box with an option not to install the software.

If you'll provide me with your email in a PM, I'll be happy to send you the file for a review. You'll see that the addon is extremely useful.

Anyhow, I think that bundling (as long as the bundled is not malicious) is a fair solution for developers who want to provide their software for free but still want to make a living.

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

I don't have any software that I am in charge of selling/producing for profit where I could use your services.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download