Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Packet loss

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dancal

dancal

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

Hey, I'm doing a dissertation on which is the best combination of web browser/media player to stream content over the internet. I've been researching for a month to try and make a program in java to measure packet loss/bit rate etc but getting no where. Perl could possibly be the answer. Basically, I have the file hosted on a web server and I will use a combination of either internet explorer/firefox and windows media player/real player. I am totally lost on how to do this and information is very scarce, if anyone could point me in the right direction or if you could let me know if this is viable in perl please let me know. I've used perl at uni quite alot but never for any networking tools. Thanks, Dan.

#2 bythos

bythos

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Well packet loss does not have anything to do with the browser or media player but the underlying design of the network components of the os your using and the quality of the network connection.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download