Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

IP address ..~

networking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_R3.RyozKidz_*

Guest_R3.RyozKidz_*

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

i have some questions about IP address ..~
for example , im using my broadband to online . Is the ip address assigned by the vendor ? or is the ip address changed every time i online ?

if i want to change my ip address , what should i do ? how to know the information (like who is the owner , from where and bla bla bla ...) of the ip address im going to change to ?

i do not know where to post this thing so , i decided to post at here ..~ tq

#2 chicabomb

chicabomb

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

An IP address uniquely identifies nodes (computers) on a network. Now the term network is very general, so to stay general, you have your public IP and local IP. Your public IP address is assigned by your ISP (internet service provider). Your local IP address is assigned by (usually, but not always) your router... involving a process called DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol). DHCP assigns IPs to each node automatically. Also, your public IP is what identifies you out on the Internet. Your local IP stays locally within your own network and does not proceed out into the Internet.

I could go on, but that is only assuming you want to know more :compress:

#3 Guest_R3.RyozKidz_*

Guest_R3.RyozKidz_*

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

i would like to know more ..~ mind to share ..? i want to learn ..~ would you mind to share your knowledge or anything you know to me ?:thumbup:

#4 chicabomb

chicabomb

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

OK, so lets break down what an IP address really entails:

Generally, it is a numerical identifier that has a "4-octet" structure, allowing 3 integers in each octet, with periods [.] separating each octet... meaning xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. These numbers in each octet are not random. For IP addresses there are 3 main classes: A, B and C. D and E exists but are rarely used.

Class A
Range: 0-127. 0-255 . 0-255 . 0-255

Class B
Range: 128-191 . 0-255 . 0-255 . 0-255

Class C
Range: 192-223 . 0-255 . 0-255 . 0-255

I added spaces between the .'s so you can visualize it better... but basically each class can contain a different range of IPs. Large networks = class A; medium networks = class B; small networks = class C. If you look at your computer's IP address right now (local IP) its probably 192.x.x.x. The 192 is from the beginning of class C.

The "4-octet" structure is called IPv4 (IP version 4). There is, however, a new(er) version known as IPv6. The difference is IPv4 (what I showed you above) is 32Bit, and IPv6 is 128Bit.

IPv4 address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
----Example: 192.168.1.50

IPv6 address: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
----Example:0:0:0:0:0:ffff:192.1.56.10

The benefit of IPv6 is (as you would assume) that you can have many more IP addresses on a network (that isn't the only benefit, though). Here is some more info on IPv6: IPv6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#5 Guest_R3.RyozKidz_*

Guest_R3.RyozKidz_*

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

wow ..~ amazing ..~ can i use others people ip address and connected with it ?

#6 Guest_R3.RyozKidz_*

Guest_R3.RyozKidz_*

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

and also can i know how digital print is left ?

#7 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

wow ..~ amazing ..~ can i use others people ip address and connected with it ?

Well, depends what you're meaning there. If an IP is leased to one node via an ISP you can't take it. You can renew an IP address lease with your ISP to get a new one in most cases but you can't take somebody elses.

#8 raji85

raji85

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:28 AM

For ip address search just click with this site IP-Details.com : Find your IP address Information @ free of costs, In here we can get IP details, internet speed test, domain name search, etc.,

#9 Donovan

Donovan

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Learning:Java, Objective-C, PHP, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, ActionScript, VBScript, Others

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

OK, so lets break down what an IP address really entails:

Generally, it is a numerical identifier that has a "4-octet" structure, allowing 3 integers in each octet, with periods [.] separating each octet... meaning xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. These numbers in each octet are not random. For IP addresses there are 3 main classes: A, B and C. D and E exists but are rarely used.

Class A
Range: 0-127. 0-255 . 0-255 . 0-255

Class B
Range: 128-191 . 0-255 . 0-255 . 0-255

Class C
Range: 192-223 . 0-255 . 0-255 . 0-255

I added spaces between the .'s so you can visualize it better... but basically each class can contain a different range of IPs. Large networks = class A; medium networks = class B; small networks = class C. If you look at your computer's IP address right now (local IP) its probably 192.x.x.x. The 192 is from the beginning of class C.

The "4-octet" structure is called IPv4 (IP version 4). There is, however, a new(er) version known as IPv6. The difference is IPv4 (what I showed you above) is 32Bit, and IPv6 is 128Bit.

IPv4 address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
----Example: 192.168.1.50

IPv6 address: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
----Example:0:0:0:0:0:ffff:192.1.56.10

The benefit of IPv6 is (as you would assume) that you can have many more IP addresses on a network (that isn't the only benefit, though). Here is some more info on IPv6: IPv6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very interesting, +rep for teaching me something I never knew.

#10 jpconleyiv

jpconleyiv

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

It sounds like you would like information on hiding your IP address and why would want to use another persons IP? I suppose you would want to use anthers IP to access there system, which I'm sure that you read about somewhere. That can actually be done, however I'm not aware nor do I care enough to inquire but I would assume this site does not condone hacking or phreaking threads that enable someone such as yourself to have gain information for such devious ways. :)

Information that I will give you:
Every system is different and requires different methods of doing things. (i.e. a mac is different from a Windows PC (Structure))
There are ways to remove or leave so called finger prints but I suggest before hand you know TCP/IP better than you know yourself.
I suggest registering in a CISCO Academy and attend towards their CCNA Certification and move forward with that.
I sugest once learning these ways and once educated in networking that you develop your skills into becoming a white hat, not a black hat. That is if you are interest in making money at what you love to do.

Good Luck to you!!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download