Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Aug
    KodeKool

When faced with a wall of errors and no hope to fix them, remember the following "Programs always do what you tell them to, and seldom what you want them to, but eventually you'll run out of things that can go wrong and it'll just work. and that's the secret to good programming."

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      11 Aug
    Error

Should I be practicing programming every day? I feel if I don't, I'll get instantly rusty or something.

Show comments (4)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
Photo
- - - - -

Local variable x is never read.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter100

Hunter100

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Python, Delphi/Object Pascal, Assembly
  • Learning:Python, Assembly, Bash

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:53 AM

Hello all,

I was watching a Java tutorial on YouTube about variable arithmetic. So I thought I'd make a simple programm to take two variables and do arithmetic on them. So I declare an int variable x. Then this happens:

I hover the mouse and it says "Local variable x is never read". What is this?

[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055]
[LEFT]public[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055]class[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Variable_Arithmetic {

[/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] 
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055]         public[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055]static[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055]void[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] main(String[] args) {

[/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] 
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055][SIZE=2][COLOR=#7f0055]                     int[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [U]x[/U] = 10;

}

}[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]

I am using Eclipse for whatever it's worth.

Help would be great.

#2 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Java, PHP

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

It's just a 'warning' probably because you declare x. But you don't do anything useful with it. If below you say
System.out.println(x);
then it's most likely solved as eclipse notices that x is now used and useful in some way.

#3 Hunter100

Hunter100

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Python, Delphi/Object Pascal, Assembly
  • Learning:Python, Assembly, Bash

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

Oh Thanks