Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Forum Developement

realloc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buttacup

Buttacup

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

I am thinking of starting a new forum for game design as there seems to be a lack of dedicated forums. Quick history there is one dedicated and developed forum which I recently self banned from for personal reasons. This said I have been looking for ways to develop myself deeper into the community. So aside from the community involvement aspect how hard would this be?

I'm looking at VBulletin and an appropriate host server; so what would be an appropriate host(not who)? I have a fair bit of programming experience and am getting pretty good a c++. I have experience with Action Script, HTML, Java and PHP and am looking into ASP.... So really how difficult and time consuming could this be? Of the 40+ hours weekly I am spending on my DX11 engine how many hours/week would be a good estimation of the number of hours to reallocate to forum development? What else should I look into in terms of coding and technical?

I apologize if I'm just reiterating some old threads, just hoping for some feedback. o-o

Thanks,
Butta

Edited by Buttacup, 11 March 2010 - 12:57 PM.

#2 noel

noel

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

Most web host that have cpanel have also have one or two free forums you can use (these are fairly low level), or look into opensource code there will be a heap of that type of program they will also have a large community of poeple (mostly coders) that can help with advice for any mod you would like to make.
hope this is some help

#3 toxifyshadow

toxifyshadow

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

Either you can use a free script, use vbulletin, or you can learn sql and php and code one with that, and for the time about 3-4 hours at most for the first few days using the php+sql method, sorry if I'm off, I'm not good at guessing times. The other two won't take as long.
Posted Image

#4 Buttacup

Buttacup

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

I'm actually reconsidering using third party software and/or the scripting of a new web based client.... I'm thinking I might take my engine and make an MMO style environment or more so like the game EVE online but have a discussions page whith bobble heads... or something like this yes? But now this will require on the lines of dedicated server and I would need for my engine to first be functional which will be a few more months!

In the time being however I am going to be learning some of the web media stuff available in HTML5 and see where I go from there. I have web space and at least for now a basic bulletin could be set up but I really like the idea of a game style board.... it fits yes?

#5 toxifyshadow

toxifyshadow

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

HTML 5 has limited browser support, I already asked if it's worth learning html 5.
And using your own scripts allows you to do so much more than other peoples. It does fit btw.

I would start by making the basic bulletin with security, make a user system, and go on from their. I'm mostly sure this can be done in php and sql (and html duh!)
Posted Image

#6 Buttacup

Buttacup

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Stylin' I have a lot of research to do with this one..... Thx!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download