Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Tutorial: Category 5E patch cables

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 exicute

exicute

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

This is a short simple tutorial demostrating how to make and repair Category 5E patch cables.

For those of you that do not know what Category 5E patch cable is, it is also called an "ethernet" cable, "internet" cable, or just patch cable. It's the cord that run from your tower (computer) to your modem or to your router then modem giving you a connection to a network and/or the internet. Now, these are cables of "about" medium thickness and do not wear easily, but they can sometimes break or erode that you lose that connection.

This is here to help you, if you have the right tools to repair them. (Or so that you can make the cable as long as you need.)

Items/materials you will need:

1.) RJ45 Connectors
2.) A Crimping Tool
3.) Cat 5E Cable Reel (Will only need this if you are making a new cable.)

**Note** Red text- Only do these if you are repairing a cable, not making a new one.

Steps in preparing a Cat 5E cable:

1.) Cut the end(s) off. (Which ever is bad, sometimes both.)
2.) Go about 1 inch down the cable and strip the outer layer of the cable.
3.) Separate the 8 small wires that are now visible.

Now, we are going to arrange the wires in the 568-B sequence. (There is an alternate way you can make them, but it will work either way.)

Match your 8 wires from left to right in this sequence:

Posted Image

**Note** When you put the RJ45 connector on, make sure the lever is facing away from you. (If you face it towards you, you have just reversed the wiring order and the cable won't work.)

Once you have them in that order you have to put them into the RJ45 connector so that each wire is in the right channel. (If you do not have a steady hand, this will be extremely frustrating.)

Now place the head of the cable (The end that has the new RJ45 connector on it.) and "crimp" it. (Just squeeze it. lol) However, if you do not have a crimping tool a flat head screwdriver being pressed on that rectangle should do the trick. (I have never used a screwdriver for this... So, if someone could confirm this I would greatly appreciate it.)

Repeat for the other end and you should have a brand new Cat 5E cable!

But... How do we know we did this correctly? If you do not have a Cable Tester, then just plug it in to your local computer and modem (That you know has a live connection meaning that it is already connected to the internet/network so you know the modem is working correctly!) and see if you get a connection.

If you did, good job! If you didn't, don't worry... Here are a few things to check:

1.) Check to see if the order of the wires is correct at both ends.
2.) Check to see if there are in breaks or sharp twists in the cable.

Happy Cable Making! -Exicute

**Note** I do realize this is a programming forum, but until I learn a language (I am well on my way.) I will continue to share my knowledge of hardware (I will make more advanced threads explaining more advanced hardware concepts soon.) by making and posting hardware tutorials because perhaps someone here does not know how to do these things.

So, Comments and Suggestions?

Edited by exicute, 10 February 2010 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image
My Tutorials|Build A Computer|Cat 5E|

#2 UnknownFear

UnknownFear

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

I found this very interesting none the less. + Rep if I knew how :D

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download