Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Wave simulation program

simulation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wavemarx

Wavemarx

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hi
I am about to start work on a program which simulates waves in a 3 Dimensional, elastic medium. The medium I have envisioned consists of a very simple array of "points" or "granules" which are equally spaced, which allow sinusoidal waves to propagate through them.
Im in a bit of a dillema at the moment, I am very solid with VB.NET, but I am not sure that it is capable of making this program. Also, is it true that VB files are quite large in comparison to other languages even though what the programs are doing are identicle? I also have no idea what programming language to use and I am also not sure if I am going to need other software (such as a game or physics engine possibly) to make this program. Visuals have never been my specialty but this project obviously demands them, is programming in 3D that difficult? Any help on this?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:22 AM

If you know VB.NET, I'd stick with that and use DirectX for the graphics.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

Also, is it true that VB files are quite large in comparison to other languages even though what the programs are doing are identicle?

Yes, usually. Slower, too. VB is also not as powerful as C/C++.

I also have no idea what programming language to use and I am also not sure if I am going to need other software (such as a game or physics engine possibly) to make this program.

Like WP said, if you know VB.NET stay with that. I'm going to warn you, though, don't expect to make the next Crysis with VB.

Visuals have never been my specialty but this project obviously demands them, is programming in 3D that difficult? Any help on this?

Depends on how realistic you want your graphics to be. There's a gajillion tutorials on the web for various libraries and stuff like that. Just google it and you'll see.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: simulation

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download