Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Getting the hang on the "OOP thinkin process"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Coldhearth

Coldhearth

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:20 AM

Hi, I've been studying applied informatics for 2 year now and they teach us all sorts of languages ranging from COBOL to Java and C#/.NET.

But one thing keeps bothering me... the thinking process of "Object Oriented Programming" :(
I can create simple applications in Java and in PHP and C# but once I get to the point I have to start a whole application just from a text with the problem case in I get stuck.

I can't seem to get the hang on the "thinking process" behind "Object Oriented Programming" :(

Can anyone help me with this cause I really have to be able to think in this way to become a good programmer!

Books, tutorials, anything... that trains you in "thinking OOP".
(As languages I prefer Java and PHP - Java mostly - for the books or examples)

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

OOP thinking is really about a perspective as you approach the problem.

In procedural/imperative programming, you are focused on what actions you want to take, and add variables as needed to stored data you are working on.

In OOP, you are focused on what "objects" exist, add data to describe the state of the objects, and add methods to alter/expose the objects' states.

The best realistic example of OOP programming is GUI programming. You have various objects (forms, buttons, dropdowns, labels, etc) with various states (captions, names, items in lists, selected items, etc) that can be affected in various ways (clicking, typing, selecting items, etc).

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Coldhearth

Coldhearth

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

I know it's a completely different thinking process...
My question is how do I teach myself to learn to think in therm of objects and relations between objects, methods and attributes...

Do a books like "The Object Oriented Thought Process 3th edition" or "Head First: Object Oriented Analysis and Design" teach me those skills or are they focusing on other stuff?

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

I've picked it up mainly by writing programs and forcing myself to do this. Designing classes, such as a chess board, chess pieces, etc. can go a long way towards helping.

I didn't pick it up form a book, just from lots of coding and reading code.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 NatalieM

NatalieM

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:52 AM

I have found the book "Object Thinking" by David West very useful.

Edited by NatalieM, 15 December 2009 - 11:52 AM.
Typo

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download