Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

PHP and Open Office Database

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 haraldur

haraldur

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

How can i connect PHP and Open Office togeather to make a database?

I have Open Office Database installed on my Ubuntu 9.10 and i wonder how do i connect the site and the database togeather, i only know how to connect MySQL and PHP togeather but i wonder how do i make the PHP and Open Office, do i need to upload the Open Office database onto my site and what scripting do i need to do to connect them?

explanation:

mysql_connect ("localhost","username","password");

Does anyone know what scripting like in the explanation i need to do to connect both of them togeather so i dont need to download and set up MySQL

#2 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

read the second post here: How to Connect *.odb with PHP (View topic) • OpenOffice.org Community Forum

it won't help you but it will explain why it probably can't be done and if it can be done it would be insanely long winded and annoying.

If you set up something like Zend LAMP server on your box you will have mysql with PHP myAdmin and you really don't need any server know how to set it up. Thats probably your best bet.

edit if you are on a windows box make sure to set it up on 8080 so that you dont make IIS mad.
Posted Image

#3 haraldur

haraldur

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

But im going to host this on a sub domain that is on the internet, it has huge amount of bandwidth and that more then a regular 1 but it dosent have a MySQL, so i need to make myself but i dont want to download and use MySQL because its harder to use for me then Open office database

#4 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

hmmmm. well you could use XML as a storage median
Posted Image

#5 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

or SQLite

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#6 haraldur

haraldur

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

But i dont know how to use SQLite and and XML as a storage median, can someone tell me how?

#7 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

XML Tutorial
Posted Image

#8 haraldur

haraldur

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

Ok but how does SQLite work? Tell me please

#9 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

I have never used it. Orjan can probably enlighten you. A quick google search returned this which should get you started : PHP and SQLite - a knol by Meem Hamza
Posted Image

#10 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

SQLite works just like any other database. The only difference is the connection method and name of the functions in PHP. You use SQL exactly the same. The cool thing about SQLite is there is no overhead. It is a file database that can be built on the spot on any computer. :)

#11 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, you connect to it by just providing a filename, and then you go. you use normal SQL as Jordan says. SQLite Home Page is their homepage and PHP as built in support for it

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#12 haraldur

haraldur

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:49 AM

But also can someone tell me how do i connect it togeather? Do i just use mysql_connect ("","","") and also how do i change infromation in the tables if i want, is it just a file that i can open in word or is it complecater?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download