Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How to create a text based web browser game

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#13 cubedude

cubedude

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

You don't need css either :P

well that way the game will look kinda poor :P and that will drive off some firstcommers

#14 Vswe

Vswe

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Lua, ActionScript

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

well that way the game will look kinda poor :P and that will drive off some firstcommers

That was why I included Javascript too, it isn't necessary, but it surely can make a difference :P

#15 Jordanx

Jordanx

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Well, I have learned all of the following other then JavaScript. I'm currently struggling with it and i'll be sure to learn it this month hopefully.
I have started working on an online text based RPG along with a friend, who just helps out on managing advertisements. (I cannot, I am not 18)
Anywho... anyone have an idea how to make interactive maps? The best example to show is the maps on the site Pokmon Vortex - Battle Arena v1 - Online Pokmon Game

#16 dbest

dbest

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Well, I have learned all of the following other then JavaScript. I'm currently struggling with it and i'll be sure to learn it this month hopefully.
I have started working on an online text based RPG along with a friend, who just helps out on managing advertisements. (I cannot, I am not 18)
Anywho... anyone have an idea how to make interactive maps? The best example to show is the maps on the site Pokmon Vortex - Battle Arena v1 - Online Pokmon Game

Might be a bit too late to respond to the thread, but this is a useful thread to look at to check out maps:
Best Way To Make Map For Browser Game? - PHP | Dream.In.Code

#17 mrlemke

mrlemke

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

After reading your tutorial I don't walk away with any knowledge of the creation of a browser based game, merely the languages or tools to create one. On top of that, your format is poor (at least on this monitor) with massive amounts of white space between sections. Also, JavaScript and PHP are not programming languages, but rather scripting languages. If you have created a browser based game, you provide information on how to do this, such as running a server, installing PHP/MySQL, how to design good websites using HTML/CSS/JavaScript, how to do game design, and so on.

Don't take this criticism negatively, if I said nothing you would not improve. I'm pretty sure everyone wants to get better at what they do.

#18 Vswe

Vswe

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Lua, ActionScript

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:32 AM

Everyone seem to take this tutorial's purpose wrong. Its purpose is not to show how to create a text based browser game by providing codes. The purpose of this tutorial is to show what you need to be able to create one. When you know this you can just Google: "Create a login system PHP, MySQL" rather than "How to create a text based web browser game", which didn't gave you much information. But now this tutorial is the top result on Google for the phrase "How to create a text based web browser game". So if someone wants to learn they will be taken here, gets a brief instruction on what to do and can continue from there.

#19 mrlemke

mrlemke

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

But now this tutorial is the top result on Google for the phrase "How to create a text based web browser game".

Most likely because it's SEO on a popular forum.

Then the topic title should be changed to something les misleading and more appropiate such as "The languages necessarry to create a browser based game" for example. A how to guide would actually show how to create that game by defining the processes, tools, and languages that will be used and how to use them in concert so that the end result a browser based game would be made.

#20 Vswe

Vswe

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

Why would the title be misleading? It describes what to do to create a text based web browser game. A tutorial can't include exactly how to make a game either, cause all games are made differently.

#21 mrlemke

mrlemke

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

It describes what to do to create a text based web browser game.

No, it only describes languages used to create one. If it were to explain what to do, it would read more like this (a very rough example):

HTML
Used for displaying the web content.

PHP
Used for talking to the database and scripting the game.

MySQL
Used for setting up and creating the database.

Not complete, but you should get the idea.

A tutorial can't include exactly how to make a game either, cause all games are made differently.

Yes, but you can describe the underlying framework. Most browser based games player very similar, with mostly a variance in graphics, what things are called, settings, etc. Describing how to find a web host or setup a server, setup PHP and MySQL for different purposes (to test the game on your pc or for your server when you are ready to release), how to market the game, and so on.

#22 Vswe

Vswe

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

You still don't get the point with the tutorial.

#23 mrlemke

mrlemke

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Yes, I do. Hence the content of my posts. However, you are closing your self off to my advice and reasoning for such advice. This isn't a personal attack towards you, merely an attempt to assist you so that you may improve your communication skills and better share your knowledge.

#24 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:32 AM

@daniel-lemke, there were prefixes recently added "Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced". "Beginner" placed on would justify the tutorial in your perspective but in definition: "A tutorial seeks to teach by example and supply the information to complete a certain task."

It's a great tutorial in itself for what the title said, no use in chasing semantic definitions..

Edited by Alexander, 06 October 2010 - 03:44 AM.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.