Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

Gopher... the path less taken

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#13 Aereshaa

Aereshaa

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

I first used pico on redhat.
Watches: Nanoha, Haruhi, AzuDai. Listens to: E-Type, Dj Melodie, Nightcore.
"When people are wrong they need to be corrected. And then when they can't accept it, an argument ensues." - MeTh0Dz

#14 Root23

Root23

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

slightly old thread revival-

I'm bummed I didn't get to be apart of those days. I can't explain it, but it just seems the old school days were more mysterious(?)... I can't find the right word to describe what I'm thinking. Alas, it seems like it was a more interesting time because everything was still relatively new, and unknown to an extent.

I'm 24 now.. so definitely far from being the youngest person on here, but to young to remember the DOS days. My first computer was a Tandy with a 133(or 166?) Mhz processor running Windows 3.1. Sure, it had DOS on it, but I never used it. The fondest memory I have of that PC is playing Duke Nukem(2D) on it the day my parents bought it for me. Not to mention countless hours on Wolfenstein 3D & Spear Destiny, and Doom.

And I guess more on subject... it's cool to learn a bit about Gopher. I'd heard it mentioned somewhere a few days ago, and then learned it was developed at the University of Minnesota(which I assumed due to the name). I'm not a true Minnesotan, I just moved here from Georgia last year, but I guess I'm still a bit proud to know that the UofM played such a role in internet history.
Posted Image

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download