Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Common CGI Security Holes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:18 PM

For my final project last year I had to code my own server in C and have it interface with a previous project that we had worked on to act as an HTTP/FTP server. While coding it up, I quickly discovered several security holes that I thought I should pass along to anyone dealing with CGI.

Invalid Query Characters
What do I mean by "sanitize"? That means properly escape metacharacters like / \ + - & %, etc. Let me show you an example of what can happen if you don't.
Let's say you have some HTML form and a Perl script that takes the data and passes it to some program on the command line, like so:
#!/usr/bin/perl

#load the data from the form and split it into the variables.
#a sample string of data would be:
#     query=this%20is%20a%20test%3e&language=en-us&
#this would split into:
#    query=this%20is%20a%20test%3e
#    language=en-us
@form_data = split(/&/,$ENV{'QUERY_STRING'});

foreach $i (@form_data) {
    #split strings into key-value pairs; we'd get:
    #    $key="query";
    #    $value="this%20is%20a%20test%3e";
    ($key,$value) = split(/=/,$i);

#use urldecode to decode quoted characters, i.e.
    # %20 becomes a space, %3e becomes a period, etc.
    $value =~ s/\%([A-Fa-f0-9]{2})/pack('C', hex($1))/seg;

#$value now equals "this is a test."

#DO NOT DO THIS!
    $result = system("search_database -q $value");

}

Why shouldn't we do that? Well, imagine if someone maliciously passed in this for one of the fields:

dargueta \ rm -rf * 2> /dev/null

Yes, this would be URL-encoded when transferred, but as soon as you decode the string and pass it to system() your command line looks like this:

search_database -q \
rm -rf * 2> /dev/null

BAM. You've just lost a lot of files. Inserting a single line of code to check for invalid characters before you pass the data on the command line could've saved you a ton of trouble.
"But", you may say, "I had a Javascript function check all that before the form was submitted! How did I lose all my files?!" Easy. You ignore the Javascript. There are plenty of utilities like FireBug that'll let you modify a page's Javascript. Someone can bypass the form validation and send you malicious data. Or they can even use telnet and completely bypass retrieving the webpage at all and just send you a bogus query. Point is, do not trust the client to pass you valid data. Ever. It will save you more trouble (and money) in the long run if you're paranoid.

Buffer Overflows
Another possible attack is a buffer overflow. Take the following CGI code, for example:
void handle_request(void) {
    /*should be long enough for anything...right?*/
    char query_buffer[1024];

/*Security hole!*/
    get_client_query(query_buffer);
}

What happens if the client enters a query longer than 1024 characters? The get_client_query function has no way of knowing how large the buffer is, since we don't pass it a size. And you can't trust your little client-side Javascript program to truncate the query at 1023 characters, because it can be bypassed, like I mentioned earlier. A better way to do it would've been to pass the length of the buffer in addition to a pointer to the buffer itself to get_client_query; if there isn't enough space in the buffer, then the function will throw an exception or return an error code, and you can handle it appropriately.

Filtering Error Messages
This isn't as important, but still a potential threat. Let's say you have some script with a bug in it, and someone sends your server an invalid query. Your script chokes and spits out a system error message, which could contain data like:

Fatal error while executing /WWW/cgi-bin/lib/scriptlib.pm referenced by /WWW/cgi-bin/database/script.pl.
StackOverflowException not caught.
<stack trace here>

This would give anyone a great insight into how your CGI scripts are written, and where they are. It's always better to catch all exceptions and spit out your own error messages rather than let the system do it for you - you never know what it's going to reveal to the client. Those error messages are meant for you to use to debug; the client just needs to see something like

HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
Epic fail, we're sorry. Try again later.

There was something else I was going to write about, but I'm completely blanking on it right now...oh well. Hope you've found this useful!

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:24 AM

Very informative tutorial. +rep

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

This dovetails nicely with what my next tutorial will be about. The hazards of something as simple as a registration form. I'll be expecting people to point out all my little holes in it :) +rep

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 debtboy

debtboy

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

As I get close to writing some CGI scripts,
posts like these are very interesting.
good stuff +rep

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download