Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Difference between SATA and SSD 1TB size for both

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mojo

Mojo

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Hi,

Can some1 please explain to me the difference between SSD and SATA HDD specially that both have reached a size of 1 TB, having in mind that both will be working on servers where it cannot tolerate any latency.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

#1 difference: SSD drives have a limited number of writes before they start to fail. If you're using a database with a large number of transactions, I wouldn't go with SSD.

Speed varies between individual drives. Check the individual drive specs. Note: read and write will vary, with SSD often being better at reads than writes.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

SSD = Solid State Drive
SSD is much faster because it has no discs and does not need to spin.

Sata = Serial ATA
Sata has discs and is measured in speed by the RPMs it spins said discs.

#4 Mojo

Mojo

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

Well iam aware of the defenitions but what i heard about SSD is that they're used for tougher terrains and actually tolerate harsh environments and as both of you said it is much faster then SATA cuz of the absence of discs and it is also quieter when it comes to operation wise since there are no discs to spin, but how come there's a 1TB SSD hdd if it has a limited amount of writes is it like a lifespan of each SSD and if we compared them both with write speed which one would be faster. by comparing i am wondering if anyone have an idea of the average write speed of both discs. and i would assume the SSD is better because i heard that the new ones in the market are intended for video applications since they almost have zero latency from the hardware side.

#5 reasonman

reasonman

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

A SSD would be better suited for more hostile environments than traditional platter based drives, like more drastic temperatures, places where you might drop, or be violently shaken(off road), etc. Since there are no moving parts, theres no disc expansion and contraction, and no heads to slam down on the platters.

One other thing to take into consideration is the ridiculous price difference between the two. The only TB SDD on newegg is over $3,000. Are the potential benefits worth the cost? I'm certain the potential speed benefits of a SSD are considerably reduced when you compare it to the price. If you're worried about latency on a server, one way or another you're going to get it. Whether it's read/write time, network latency or just "waiting in line" on the server to do what you need to do, you're going to take some kind of hit. I'm far from a server optimization expert, but what I see alot of people doing is getting a number of SCSI SATA drives and setting them up in a particular RAID setup to maximize the speeds. Someone else can jump in here and clarify/correct.

EDIT: Just realized this thread is wicked old. Oops.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download