Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How do you test your software?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#13 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:42 AM

h4x: I think what you're getting at is that you have to keep the big picture in mind while you work on pieces of code. Yes, it's a balancing act that can be difficult. That's why there are tons of books out there about best practices. These include coding as contracts, creating specs, TDD, etc, etc, etc.

We know about this stuff, just as we know not all programmers do this as well as they should. I'm sure most of us have met people who create messes, due to laziness, inexperience, or ineptitude. I personally apologize on behalf of all those people for being mortal.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#14 ArekBulski

ArekBulski

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

if you write bugged apps and you know that do world a favor and stop it. someone better will take your place.

Why don't you do us all a favor and stop writing
since your brain is too inefficient to use standard sentence structure.

Yeah, great. I am sure someone will replace you, too, h4x.

#15 ArekBulski

ArekBulski

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

What was I, uhm yes. I wanted to say that when I was learning from the Rocket Commander game, the author used extensively NUnit and Test Driven Development. I got quite fond of this approach but eventually I stopped using it.

I cannot say exactly why, I do not like the way NUnit works. Writing test cases, or methods, is somewhat easy but... The overall thing just does not turn me on, if you know what I mean.

So for now I implement few methods at a time, then run it, and check is everything working for real.

#16 relapse

relapse

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

i prefer another approach.
you create 100% code in your mind, then you write it and compile.
bugs? perhaps u should give up programming since ur brain is inefficient.

if you write bugged apps and you know that do world a favor and stop it. someone better will take your place.

however if you create software and your unsure if u missed something, test it yourself. i myself try all possible values, max, min, and debug it.

You are one dumb **.

#17 Aereshaa

Aereshaa

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:01 AM

For each final program I make, there are usually 10 little programs
that I welded together. Like for a tic tac toe game, Istart with a basic tic-tac-toe library. Then, I make one program that allows the user to make a move, one program that generates the best move for a board, and one program that displays the board in a nice way. Then I weld together the code from those programs, ending up with a single program which combines those functions. Since each of the parts works, the final program usually compiles and runs perfectly first try.
Watches: Nanoha, Haruhi, AzuDai. Listens to: E-Type, Dj Melodie, Nightcore.
"When people are wrong they need to be corrected. And then when they can't accept it, an argument ensues." - MeTh0Dz

#18 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:39 AM

This was a huge problem for me, for my final project at school.. because if the software crashed during the presentation it was a straight F, meaning a Fail in my diploma and a waste of all that hard work.. so what I did was, testing it during programming.. I tested form by form and method by method as I was programming.. and when it was finalized I used to input garbage data and something else that I forgot what it is called...

basically for example in numeric fields I inserted text, symbols numbers, negative numbers, +, -,0 and a mix and match.

#19 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:07 PM

Like WingedPanther, I generally develop incrementally and test the functionality at each increment. Also, I now write unit tests to make sure code I write does not break code I have already written. I learned that one the hard way. After that, the software gets released, and use Bugzilla for reporting of bugs.

#20 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:39 AM

The only problem that I find with John's and WP's is that usually I will add more code at a later stage (because I will need to add functionality from one class to another) so... I end up testing and testing again.. so it ends up useless.

#21 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

well, unit testing just adds on more and more testing, so it does not give more work to retest the old tests, they are already saved.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#22 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

Yes, you can end up with more test code than "project" code, but consider this: what happens if you delete a function call to some initialization code by accident. It may not be obvious that anything is wrong in the functionality that you're adding, but if the call initialized your PRNG, you will suddenly find that you have a problem when you go to production.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#23 debtboy

debtboy

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

There always seem to be deadlines involved, so it's a compromise.

Test everything you can and then get some actual users testing it.
(test server or test type environment)
Users seen to come up with the weirdest bugs...
(I tab to the next field then hit <escape> & <ctrl> at the same time :sneaky:
and the data I just entered disappears before I can save, you have to fix that!!)

In addition, they always put in for multiple changes, during testing
(before it's released). Users want to try it out and play during testing.
I'd rather work with the actual users, than systematically try to
bullet proof something myself.

That's just my reality :D

#24 ArekBulski

ArekBulski

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

I'd rather work with the actual users, than systematically try to bullet proof something myself.

That's just my reality :D

I wonder, did you look for a way to move testing from people into easy test cases (and failed) or you just don't need it? After all, you don't do the hard testing work. No offense. :lol:

I tried out Unit Testing once, as well as Test Driven Development. I wish I could better handle it because I see the benefit but I am unable to use it. :worry:

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download