Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How do you test your software?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 relapse

relapse

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

Your software has a ****load of bugs in it. What do you do? How do you test that software before releasing it to the public? Do you even do anything?

The best method seems to be releasing a beta so that users around the world can test it on different hardware and software versions. But then, if no one knows **** about you or your software, you have no one to beta test it for you.

Are there other methods?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

I try to do a lot of incremental development. Rather than throw together a pile of code, I'll implement one piece, test it, then implement the next (dependent) piece, test it, etc.

I also use exception handling to trap and log errors. This is especially useful for database migrations where there can be a lot of vagaries in the data that are not easily observed. By logging all SQL errors, including the SQL that caused the error, it's much easier to locate problems and fix them.

Finally, having a QA person who will take your specs and create test scripts to pound on your application for you. The result is you have two sets of eyes on your code. QA is boring work. Not exciting at all.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:47 AM

Testing as I go along works but I always use my software as I intended so it should work for me. I like to get others to test it and often have people here on CC help me. Vswe is great at finding and reporting bugs. I also prefer the public beta methods. There are services that allow you to post your public beta. In exchange for a bug test/review, you provide the tester a free copy of the final version.

#4 marwex89

marwex89

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2857 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

I'm fond of debugging. Most of my larger programs utilize detailed logfiles, and more advanced stuff like sending debug messages to a "connectible" sniffer-debugger-program. My directX thingys often has a built in console to make things easier.
Hey! Check out my new Toyota keyboaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

#5 cdg10620

cdg10620

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, VBScript, Others

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

At work we have a log manager that tracks all of our exceptions and errors in our web applications. We go through it about once a week and track to see what is going on in the applications and then track down the bug. It works fairly well. We also test our programs on a staging server before we push to production. The only people who test on the staging server are the developers.
-CDG10620
Software Developer

#6 Guest_h4x_*

Guest_h4x_*

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:06 AM

i prefer another approach.
you create 100% code in your mind, then you write it and compile.
bugs? perhaps u should give up programming since ur brain is inefficient.

if you write bugged apps and you know that do world a favor and stop it. someone better will take your place.

however if you create software and your unsure if u missed something, test it yourself. i myself try all possible values, max, min, and debug it.

#7 marwex89

marwex89

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 2857 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:59 AM

lol @ h4x :D Good luck..

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

h4x: when you write a program, and then use another version of a program to modify it into several variants, or have multiple sets of directives to accomplish the same thing, and then have around a million lines of code with all these permutations floating around, go ensure it's bug free.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#9 marwex89

marwex89

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 2857 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

Also if you don't allow yourself to make programming errors, you're basically taking away one of the most interesting tools a programmer has: Using the computer for trying out stuff. And then I mean stuff that might go wrong. Being so afraid of bugs you can't sit down and write some code and test if it works the way you thought it would is a major handicap, IMO.

#10 debtboy

debtboy

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

i prefer another approach.
you create 100% code in your mind, then you write it and compile.
bugs? perhaps u should give up programming since ur brain is inefficient.

if you write bugged apps and you know that do world a favor and stop it. someone better will take your place.

however if you create software and your unsure if u missed something, test it yourself. i myself try all possible values, max, min, and debug it.

h4x, (if that's your real name)
you forgot to use capitols...
Why don't you do us all a favor and stop writing
since your brain is too inefficient to use standard sentence structure.
:lol::lol::lol:

I'm just being defensive, my code always has a few bugs to start with.

No hard feelings hx4, just messing with ya!! :D

#11 Guest_h4x_*

Guest_h4x_*

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

Why don't you do us all a favor and stop writing
since your brain is too inefficient to use standard sentence structure.

sorry, but i dont care about my writing style after night spent debugging someones program. debugging.... more like rewriting it in hex editor -,-

people who dont care about quality of software just piss me off.
most bugs came from ppl who cant see their whole app.
they write it part by part hoping it will work somehow.
and this is even worse, others pay them for it. so machine is going on. and internet is bloated wich ****ware. Of course there are some programs, mostly open source wich works good, unless someone decide to make them intelligent and add too many functions -,- this is also common to linux, too bad.

#12 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:00 AM

writing skill is just as important as being able to program.

How do you think you can always make software that is bug free first try? It's like impossible. Everyone makes mistakes.

You said that open source programs work good. They do, and do you think they did them all bug free? No chance on that.

they write it part by part hoping it will work somehow.

We don't write it part by parting hoping it will work. We write it part by part because it's easier to test and to ensure that smaller parts work.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download