Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#25 Parabola

Parabola

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:17 AM

Any asteroid heading toward us will have to withstand huge amounts of nuclear firepower. If it was big enough to withstand that, then we would have seen it coming, getting brighter, for decades.

Posted Image
Programmer (n): An organism that can turn caffeine into code.
Programming would be so much easier without all the users.

#26 Parabola

Parabola

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

Ok guys, here's my evidence that the world will end:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

Personally I think the human race is trying to figure things out, things that we don't have control over... but we are curious about it... besides that we are always searching for stuff to talk about.. so, this is another bs subject.

#28 hydrography

hydrography

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Only GOD knows what will happends to us

#29 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

Yet the all knowing powerful loving God (who condemns people who do not believe in him to ** for all of eternity) chooses not to tell us when he will kill us all.... hah.

#30 Parabola

Parabola

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:26 AM

Agreed. But I would like to expand more on the subject. (2012, not God knowing lol)
I did a good bit of research on it.
First, the main thing that brought it all together- The Mayan calendar. So what if the Mayan calendar ends in 2012? It's a calendar. Every calendar has an "end". Dec 31. OH KNOW! Wait. Just start the calendar over. So the Mayans had an exceptionally large calendar. MAYBE.. they just figured that 13 Baktuns was enough. Here's an excerpt from wikipedia:

These scholars argue that the Long Count does not end on 13.0.0.0.0.[18] In their seminal work of 1990, the Maya scholars Linda Schele and David Freidel, who reference Edmonson, argue that the Maya "did not conceive this to be the end of creation, as many have suggested,"[19] citing Mayan predictions of events to occur after the end of the 13th baktun. The Maya, due to their cyclical concept of time, also wrote the date of creation, their zero date, as 13.0.0.0.0.[20] Schele and Freidel note that creation date was inscribed at Coba as 13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.0.0.0.0, with twenty units above the katun. According to Schele and Friedel, these 13s should be treated as 0s, so the Coba number would be read as if it were 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0, with the units of each column beyond the second (counting from right to left) equal to 20 times those of the previous one. This number represented "the starting point of a huge odometer of time".[19] Schele and Freidel calculate that the date at which this odometer would run out lies some 4.134105 × 1028 years in the future,[19] or 3 quintillion times the scientifically accepted age of the universe.

Now onto "Nibiru", or PlanetX. It's been through to solar system before, and LOOK: the Earth is still here! Besides, although yes they have spotted this so called PlanetX, they have no idea when it will actually come close to our Earth, if it even comes close enough to or planet to actually do anything.for all we know it could easily pass on the other side of the sun, missing us altogether.

Now what about this so called computer that predicts the future. HAH. That's pretty funny. So it has predicted that the world will end in 2012? Let's think about why. We are programmers here, we know how the interwebs works, right? So this computer, that crawls webpages and search engines... couldn't have possibly just picked up on the talk about 2012 all over the internet and said "Hey! 2012! Apparently something is going to happen!"...... yea come on people that's just stupid to believe that thing.

The point is exactly as hydrography stated. Only God knows. But, with a little research, you can figure out that it's all a bunch of **. Most people go online and look up the 2012 predictions, blah blah blah, and find all kinds of things about why it will happen. Try looking up why it WON'T happen. You find much more proven evidence there.

#31 Guest

CC Devotee

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Programming Language:C

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

The computer calendar ends in 2038. It is called Y2K38. That is the real end of the world.
Root Beer == System Administrator's Beer
Download the new operating system programming kit! (some assembly required)

#32 Parabola

Parabola

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:48 AM

...... I'm sorry, I read the whole wikipedia thing you posted... I don't see that as an issue. At least not one to worry about. We have years to take care of that, and being as it appears to be a 32bit problem, and there are already talks of 128bit OS, I'm sure that by the time comes, it won't be an issue. Also, just for the heck of it, my computer is currently set to Nov 1 2068. Yep. I had a problem. My cookies were expired. OH NO. lol jk. All my software works fine, with no issue.

#33 Guest

CC Devotee

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Programming Language:C

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

I guess you didn't get the joke. There was a similar scare with the original Y2K and nothing happened. My point is that everyone gets scared over these stupid end of the world theories.
Root Beer == System Administrator's Beer
Download the new operating system programming kit! (some assembly required)

#34 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:29 PM

Ah, I remember the Y2k scare very well. People worked themselves up into a frenzy over nothing.

#35 cakka

cakka

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:Java, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

ehm.... interesting.... what Mayan tell about it ?

#36 Parabola

Parabola

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

I guess you didn't get the joke. There was a similar scare with the original Y2K and nothing happened. My point is that everyone gets scared over these stupid end of the world theories.

Lol, my bad. Some people actually go for these things, never can tell lol.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download