Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Java: Random Name Generator

java generator

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sinipull

Sinipull

CC Addict

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:43 AM

Description: This class generates random names from syllables, and provides programmer a simple way to set a group of rules for generator to avoid unpronounceable and bizarre names.

SYLLABLE FILE REQUIREMENTS/FORMAT:
1) all syllables are separated by line break.
2) Syllable should not contain or start with whitespace, as this character is ignored and only first part of the syllable is read.
3) + and - characters are used to set rules, and using them in other way, may result in unpredictable results.
4) Empty lines are ignored.

SYLLABLE CLASSIFICATION:
Name is usually composed from 3 different class of syllables, which include prefix, middle part and suffix.
To declare syllable a prefix in the file, insert "-" as a first character of the line.
To declare syllable a suffix in the file, insert "+" as a first character of the line.
everything else is read as middle part.

NUMBER OF SYLLABLES:
Names may have any positive number of syllables. In case of 2 syllables, name will be composed from prefix and suffix.
In case of 1 syllable, name will be chosen from amongst the prefixes.
In case of 3 and more syllables, name will begin with prefix, is filled with middle parts and ended with suffix.

ASSIGNING RULES:

I included a way to set 4 kind of rules for every syllable. To add rules to the syllables, write them right after the syllable and SEPARATE WITH WHITESPACE. (example: "aad +v -c"). The order of rules is not important.

RULES:

1) +v means that next syllable must definitely start with a wovel.
2) +c means that next syllable must definitely start with a consonant.
3) -v means that this syllable can only added to another syllable, that ends with a wovel.
4) -c means that this syllable can only added to another syllable, that ends with a consonant.
So, our example: "aad +v -c" means that "aad" can only be after consonant and next syllable must start with wovel.
Beware of creating logical mistakes, like providing only syllables ending with consonants, but expecting only wovels, which will be detected and RuntimeException will be thrown.

TO START:
Create a new NameGenerator object, provide the syllable file, and create names using compose() method.

EXAMPLE SYLLABLE FILE (Roman Names):
-a
-al
-au +c
-an
-ba
-be
-bi
-br +v
-da
-di
-do
-du
-e
-eu +c
-fa
bi
be
bo
bu
nul +v
gu
da
au +c -c
fri
gus
+tus
+lus
+lius
+nus
+es
+ius -c
+cus
+tor
+cio
+tin
and results:

Aubicio
Bebecus
Batin
Baes
Alboes
Dubilius
Banus
Alcus
Beguslius
Dinules
Dubecio
Beguses
Belus
Bibinus
Dibilius
Dacus
Antin
Braulius
Dobotor
Eucio
Dutus
EXAMPLE SYLLABLE FILE (Elven Names):
-Ael
-Aer
-af
-ah
-am
-ama
-an
-ang +v
-ansr +v
-cael
-dae +c
-dho
-eir
-fi
-fir
-la
-seh
-sel
-ev
-fis
-hu
-ha
-gar
-gil
-ka
-kan
-ya
-za
-zy
-mara
-mai +c
-lue +c
-ny
-she
-sum
-syl
ae +c -c
ael -c
dar
deth +v
dre -v
drim -v
dul
ean -c
el
emar
hal
iat -c
mah
ten
que -v +c
ria
rail
ther
thus
thi
san
+ael -c
+dar
+deth
+dre
+drim
+dul
+ean -c
+el
+emar
+nes
+nin
+oth
+hal
+iat
+mah
+ten
+ther
+thus
+thi
+ran
+ath
+ess
+san
+yth
+las
+lian
+evar
and results:
Amaelran
Kaemaroth
Shedul
Kathi
Aftenlas
Ansraellas
Angevar
Aerten
Caeltennes
Ladreevar
Aerlas
Evel
Maiquelian
Evraildar
Ahlas
Zyran
Ahsanten
Shethernes
Sylsan
Sheran
Hutenmah
Fimahlian
Nyoth
Kanael
Luedullian
Fiemardeth
Syldul
Seldar
And here's the code. Enjoy :)
package ee.joonas;

import java.io.BufferedReader;
import java.io.FileReader;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.ArrayList;

/**
 * This class is released under GNU general public license
 * Description: This class generates random names from syllables, and provides programmer a 
 * simple way to set a group of rules for generator to avoid unpronounceable and bizarre names. 
 * SYLLABLE FILE REQUIREMENTS/FORMAT: 
 * 1) all syllables are separated by line break. 
 * 2) Syllable should not contain or start with whitespace, as this character is ignored and only first part of the syllable is read. 
 * 3) + and - characters are used to set rules, and using them in other way, may result in unpredictable results.
 * 4) Empty lines are ignored.
 * SYLLABLE CLASSIFICATION:
 * Name is usually composed from 3 different class of syllables, which include prefix, middle part and suffix. 
 * To declare syllable as a prefix in the file, insert "-" as a first character of the line.  
 * To declare syllable as a suffix in the file, insert "+" as a first character of the line.  
 * everything else is read as a middle part.
 * NUMBER OF SYLLABLES: 
 * Names may have any positive number of syllables. In case of 2 syllables, name will be composed from prefix and suffix. 
 * In case of 1 syllable, name will be chosen from amongst the prefixes.
 * In case of 3 and more syllables, name will begin with prefix, is filled with middle parts and ended with suffix.
 * ASSIGNING RULES:
 * I included a way to set 4 kind of rules for every syllable. To add rules to the syllables, write them right after the 
 * syllable and SEPARATE WITH WHITESPACE. (example: "aad +v -c"). The order of rules is not important.
 * RULES:
 * 1) +v means that next syllable must definitely start with a Vowel.
 * 2) +c means that next syllable must definitely start with a consonant.
 * 3) -v means that this syllable can only be added to another syllable, that ends with a Vowel.
 * 4) -c means that this syllable can only be added to another syllable, that ends with a consonant.
 * So, our example: "aad +v -c" means that "aad" can only be after consonant and next syllable must start with Vowel.
 * Beware of creating logical mistakes, like providing only syllables ending with consonants, but expecting only Vowels, which will be detected 
 * and RuntimeException will be thrown.
 * TO START:
 * Create a new NameGenerator object, provide the syllable file, and create names using compose() method.
 */
public class NameGenerator {
    ArrayList<String> pre = new ArrayList<String>();
    ArrayList<String> mid = new ArrayList<String>();
    ArrayList<String> sur = new ArrayList<String>();

final private static char[] Vowels = {'a', 'e', 'i', 'o', 'u', 'ä', 'ö', 'õ', 'ü', 'y'};
    final private static char[] consonants = {'b', 'c', 'd', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'p',    'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y'};

private String fileName;

/**
     * Create new random name generator object. refresh() is automatically called.
     * @param fileName insert file name, where syllables are located
     * @throws IOException
     */
    public NameGenerator(String fileName) throws IOException{
        this.fileName = fileName;
        refresh();
    }

/**
     * Change the file. refresh() is automatically called during the process.
     * @param fileName insert the file name, where syllables are located.
     * @throws IOException
     */
    public void changeFile(String fileName) throws IOException{
        if(fileName == null) throw new IOException("File name cannot be null");
        this.fileName = fileName;
        refresh();
    }

/**
     * Refresh names from file. No need to call that method, if you are not changing the file during the operation of program, as this method
     * is called every time file name is changed or new NameGenerator object created.
     * @throws IOException
     */
    public void refresh() throws IOException{

FileReader input = null;
        BufferedReader bufRead;
        String line;

input = new FileReader(fileName);

bufRead = new BufferedReader(input);
        line="";   

while(line != null){        
            line = bufRead.readLine();        
            if(line != null && !line.equals("")){
                if(line.charAt(0) == '-'){
                    pre.add(line.substring(1).toLowerCase());                    
                }
                else if(line.charAt(0) == '+'){
                    sur.add(line.substring(1).toLowerCase());                    
                }
                else{ 
                    mid.add(line.toLowerCase());                    
                }
            }
        }        
        bufRead.close();
    }

private String upper(String s){
        return s.substring(0,1).toUpperCase().concat(s.substring(1));
    }

private boolean containsConsFirst(ArrayList<String> array){
        for(String s: array){
            if(consonantFirst(s)) return true;
        }
        return false;
    }

private boolean containsVocFirst(ArrayList<String> array){
            if(VowelFirst(s)) return true;
        }
        return false;
    }

private boolean allowCons(ArrayList<String> array){
            if(hatesPreviousVowels(s) || hatesPreviousConsonants(s) == false) return true;
        }
        return false;
    }

private boolean allowVocs(ArrayList<String> array){
            if(hatesPreviousConsonants(s) || hatesPreviousVowels(s) == false) return true;
        }
        return false;
    }

private boolean expectsVowel(String s){
        if(s.substring(1).contains("+v")) return true;
        else return false;
    }
    private boolean expectsConsonant(String s){
        if(s.substring(1).contains("+c")) return true;
        else return false;        
    }
    private boolean hatesPreviousVowels(String s){
        if(s.substring(1).contains("-c")) return true;
        else return false;
    }
    private boolean hatesPreviousConsonants(String s){
        if(s.substring(1).contains("-v")) return true;
        else return false;        
    }    

private String pureSyl(String s){
        s = s.trim();
        if(s.charAt(0) == '+' || s.charAt(0) == '-') s = s.substring(1);
        return s.split(" ")[0];
    }

private boolean VowelFirst(String s){
        return (String.copyValueOf(Vowels).contains(String.valueOf(s.charAt(0)).toLowerCase()));        
    }

private boolean consonantFirst(String s){
        return (String.copyValueOf(consonants).contains(String.valueOf(s.charAt(0)).toLowerCase()));        
    }

private boolean VowelLast(String s){
        return (String.copyValueOf(Vowels).contains(String.valueOf(s.charAt(s.length()-1)).toLowerCase()));        
    }

private boolean consonantLast(String s){
        return (String.copyValueOf(consonants).contains(String.valueOf(s.charAt(s.length()-1)).toLowerCase()));        
    }

/**
     * Compose a new name.
     * @param syls The number of syllables used in name.
     * @return Returns composed name as a String
     * @throws RuntimeException when logical mistakes are detected inside chosen file, and program is unable to complete the name.
     */
    public String compose(int syls){
        if(syls > 2 && mid.size() == 0) throw new RuntimeException("You are trying to create a name with more than 3 parts, which requires middle parts, " +
                "which you have none in the file "+fileName+". You should add some. Every word, which doesn't have + or - for a prefix is counted as a middle part.");
        if(pre.size() == 0) throw new RuntimeException("You have no prefixes to start creating a name. add some and use \"-\" prefix, to identify it as a prefix for a name. (example: -asd)");
        if(sur.size() == 0) throw new RuntimeException("You have no suffixes to end a name. add some and use \"+\" prefix, to identify it as a suffix for a name. (example: +asd)");
        if(syls < 1) throw new RuntimeException("compose(int syls) can't have less than 1 syllable");
        int expecting = 0; // 1 for Vowel, 2 for consonant
        int last = 0; // 1 for Vowel, 2 for consonant
        String name;
        int a = (int)(Math.random() * pre.size());

if(VowelLast(pureSyl(pre.get(a)))) last = 1;
        else last = 2;

if(syls > 2){
            if(expectsVowel(pre.get(a))){ 
                expecting = 1;                
                if(containsVocFirst(mid) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"middle\" part starting with Vowel, " +
                        "but there is none. You should add one, or remove requirement for one.. "); 
            }
            if(expectsConsonant(pre.get(a))){ 
                expecting = 2;                
                if(containsConsFirst(mid) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"middle\" part starting with consonant, " +
            }
        }
        else{
            if(expectsVowel(pre.get(a))){ 
                expecting = 1;                
                if(containsVocFirst(sur) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"suffix\" part starting with Vowel, " +
            }
            if(expectsConsonant(pre.get(a))){ 
                expecting = 2;                
                if(containsConsFirst(sur) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"suffix\" part starting with consonant, " +
            }
        }
        if(VowelLast(pureSyl(pre.get(a))) && allowVocs(mid) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"middle\" part that allows last character of prefix to be a Vowel, " +
        "but there is none. You should add one, or remove requirements that cannot be fulfilled.. the prefix used, was : \""+pre.get(a)+"\", which" +
        "means there should be a part available, that has \"-v\" requirement or no requirements for previous syllables at all.");

if(consonantLast(pureSyl(pre.get(a))) && allowCons(mid) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"middle\" part that allows last character of prefix to be a consonant, " +
        "but there is none. You should add one, or remove requirements that cannot be fulfilled.. the prefix used, was : \""+pre.get(a)+"\", which" +
        "means there should be a part available, that has \"-c\" requirement or no requirements for previous syllables at all.");

int b[] = new int[syls];
        for(int i = 0; i<b.length-2; i++){

do{
                b[i] = (int)(Math.random() * mid.size());
                //System.out.println("exp " +expecting+" VowelF:"+VowelFirst(mid.get(b[i]))+" syl: "+mid.get(b[i]));
            }            
            while(expecting == 1 && VowelFirst(pureSyl(mid.get(b[i]))) == false || expecting == 2 && consonantFirst(pureSyl(mid.get(b[i]))) == false 
                    || last == 1 && hatesPreviousVowels(mid.get(b[i])) || last == 2 && hatesPreviousConsonants(mid.get(b[i])));

expecting = 0;
            if(expectsVowel(mid.get(b[i]))){ 
                expecting = 1;                
                if(i < b.length-3 && containsVocFirst(mid) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"middle\" part starting with Vowel, " +
                if(i == b.length-3 && containsVocFirst(sur) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"suffix\" part starting with Vowel, " +
            }
            if(expectsConsonant(mid.get(b[i]))){ 
                expecting = 2;                
                if(i < b.length-3 && containsConsFirst(mid) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"middle\" part starting with consonant, " +
                if(i == b.length-3 && containsConsFirst(sur) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"suffix\" part starting with consonant, " +
            }
            if(VowelLast(pureSyl(mid.get(b[i]))) && allowVocs(mid) == false && syls > 3) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"middle\" part that allows last character of last syllable to be a Vowel, " +
                    "but there is none. You should add one, or remove requirements that cannot be fulfilled.. the part used, was : \""+mid.get(b[i])+"\", which " +
                    "means there should be a part available, that has \"-v\" requirement or no requirements for previous syllables at all."); 

if(consonantLast(pureSyl(mid.get(b[i]))) && allowCons(mid) == false && syls > 3) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"middle\" part that allows last character of last syllable to be a consonant, " +
                    "but there is none. You should add one, or remove requirements that cannot be fulfilled.. the part used, was : \""+mid.get(b[i])+"\", which " +
                    "means there should be a part available, that has \"-c\" requirement or no requirements for previous syllables at all.");
            if(i == b.length-3){                
                if(VowelLast(pureSyl(mid.get(b[i]))) && allowVocs(sur) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"suffix\" part that allows last character of last syllable to be a Vowel, " +
                        "means there should be a suffix available, that has \"-v\" requirement or no requirements for previous syllables at all."); 

if(consonantLast(pureSyl(mid.get(b[i]))) && allowCons(sur) == false) throw new RuntimeException("Expecting \"suffix\" part that allows last character of last syllable to be a consonant, " +
                        "means there should be a suffix available, that has \"-c\" requirement or no requirements for previous syllables at all.");
            }
            if(VowelLast(pureSyl(mid.get(b[i])))) last = 1;
            else last = 2;
        }        

int c;
        do{
            c = (int)(Math.random() * sur.size());                    
        }            
        while(expecting == 1 && VowelFirst(pureSyl(sur.get(c))) == false || expecting == 2 && consonantFirst(pureSyl(sur.get(c))) == false 
                || last == 1 && hatesPreviousVowels(sur.get(c)) || last == 2 && hatesPreviousConsonants(sur.get(c)));

name = upper(pureSyl(pre.get(a).toLowerCase()));        
        for(int i = 0; i<b.length-2; i++){
            name = name.concat(pureSyl(mid.get(b[i]).toLowerCase()));            
        }
        if(syls > 1)
            name = name.concat(pureSyl(sur.get(c).toLowerCase()));
        return name;        
    }    
}
Download:
UPLOAD.EE - Download NameGenerator.java

EDIT: Fixed a bug, that caused program to think suffixes and prefixes starting with c or v were rules.

Edited by Sinipull, 08 November 2011 - 10:09 AM.

#2 TheSnail

TheSnail

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

Okay, this is a stupid question.. but how do I get the path to my assets folder? I've copied one of your example files and put the .txt in /assets, but every time I call new NameGenerator("assets/example.txt").compose(x) I get a FileNotFoundException.

I love your code, btw.. very convenient! If only I could figure this out!

#3 DevFromParis

DevFromParis

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

Cool.

I had interesting result :

Africio
Fagucio
Eucus
Betus
Aulus
Danulius
Balius
Dicus
Betor

#4 dveyarangi

dveyarangi

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, PL/SQL
  • Learning:C++, Lisp

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

Thank you very much!
Contributing goblin syllable:

-waa +c
-boo +c
-gar
-bar
-dar
-jar
-var
-kra
-gra
-dra
-zra
-gob
-dob
-rob
-fob
-zob
-rag
-nag
-dag
bra
ga
da
do
go
ze
sha
naz
zub
zu
na
gor
boo +c
+byr
+gyr
+dyr
+vyr
+zyr
+yr -c
+zog
+rog
+gog
+og -c
+gul
+dul
+bul
+rul
+ul -c
+rgh -v

Goblins:

Waabyr Grabyr Zobzegozurog
Kravyr Gradargh Nagdavyr
Gobdul Naggorgog Zobdazudarul
Zobrog Bargog Bargonazbradul
Darzog Garzurgh Dobzugog
Dagdyr Jarbul Jarboorul
Drarog Bargazyr Waabradodovyr
Dagzog Ragzubgyr Varnadul
Krargh Nagdadyr Dobdazog
Jarbyr Gobnazbyr Dagdonazgargh

#5 Sinipull

Sinipull

CC Addict

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

Haha, deyarangi, very cool! Thanks for sharing with others!

#6 hastegan

hastegan

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thank you a lot for this code, awesome, exactly what I needed !

Little contribution (Fantasy oriented names) :

-a +c
-ab
-ac
-ad
-af
-ak
-am
-an
-ap
-ar
-as
-at
-aw
-az
-ael
-ael
-ao
-aer
-ash
-arsh +v
-ath
-arg +v
-arv +v
-art +v
-arn +v
-ag
-ang +v
-anthr +v
-ba +c
-be +c
-bi
-bo +c
-bu +c
-beo +c
-bra +c
-bre +c
-bei
-bro +c
-bru
-breo +c
-brao +c
-da +c
-de +c
-di
-do +c
-du +c
-dae +c
-dai
-dao +c
-dra +c
-dre +c
-dri
-dro +c
-dash
-desh
-dosh
-darr +v
-dar
-derr +v
-der
-dorr +v
-dor
-durr +v
-dur
-dran
-dren
-dron
-drun
-drav
-drev
-drov
-dov
-duv
-darv +v
-dorv +v
-durv +v
-eo +c
-ei +c
-ed
-ga +c
-go +c
-gu +c
-gra +c
-gro +c
-gru +c
-garl
-gorl
-ha +c
-he +c
-hi +c
-ho +c
-hu +c
-han
-hun
-hon
-idr +v
-igr +v
-irn +v
-ign +v
-in
-ins
-intr +v
-ka +c
-ke +c
-ki
-ko +c
-ku +c
-kov
-korv +v
-kran
-kren
-kron
-krun
-karn
-kern
-korn
-kurn
-lod +v
-lodd +v
-la +c
-lad +v
-ladd +v
-lor
-lorn +v
-llor
-llorn +v
-llorv +v
-orv +v
-orn +v
-orgl +v
-pa +c
-pu +c
-po +c
-ra +c
-re +c
-ru +c
-rab +v
-rak
-rob +v
-rok
-rub +v
-ruk
-stra +c
-stre +c
-sto +c
-sar
-sor
-ser
-tu +c
-tuk
-tuv +v
-un
-unn +v
-und
-ud
-uk
-va
-vaa +c
-ve +c
-vo +c
-vu +c
-val
-vel
-vol
-vul
-vraal
-vral
-vrul
-vratt +v
-vrott +v
-vrod +v
-vrok +v
-vork +v
-vort +v
-za +c
-zaa +c
-zar
-zon
-zoll +v
ab -c
ac -c
ad -c
af -c
ak -c
am -c
an -c
ap -c
ar -c
as -c
at -c
aw -c
az -c
ael -c
ael -c
ao -c
aer -c
ba
be
bi
bo
bu
beo
bra
bre
bei
bro
bru
breo
brao
da
de
di
do
du
dae
dai
dao
dra
dre
dri
dro
dash
desh
dosh
darr
dar
derr
der
dorr
dor
durr
dur
dran
dren
dron
drun
drav
drev
drov
dov
duv
darv
dorv
durv
eo -c +c
ei -c
ed -c
ga -v +c
go -v +c
gu -v +c
gra -v
gro -v
gru -v +c
garl -v
gorl -v
ha -v +c
he -v +c
hi -v
ho -v +c
hu -v +c
han -v
hun -v
hon -v
idr -c +v
igr -c +v
irn -c +v
ign -c +v
in
ins
intr -c
ka -v +c
ke -v +c
ki -v
ko -v +c
ku -v +c
kov -v +v
korv -v +v
kran -v +v
kren -v +v
kron -v +v
krun -v +v
karn -v +v
kern -v +v
korn -v +v
kurn -v +v
lod -v
lodd -v
la -v +c
lad -v
ladd  -v +v
lor  -v
lorn -v +v
orv -c +v
orn -c +v
orgl -c +v
pa -v +c
pu -v +c
po -v +c
ra -v +c
re -v +c
ru -v +c
rab -v +c
rak -v +c
rob -v +c
rok -v
rub -v +c
ruk -v
stra -v +c
stre -v +c
sto -v +c
sar -v
sor -v
serr -v +c
tu -v +c
tuk -v
tuv -v +c
un -c
unn -c +v
und -c +v
ud -c +v
uk -c
va -v +c
vaa -v +c
ve -v +c
vo -v +c
vu -v +c
val -v
vel -v
vol -v
vul -v
vral -v +v
vrul -v +v
+al -c
+ol -c
+ul -c
+ath -c
+oth -c
+an -c
+un -c
+en -c
+iel -c
+iol -c
+iul -c
+at -c
+ut -c
+ll -v
+d -v
+st -v
+ss -v
+s

Results :

Kodraval
Drodurriol
Ukinut
Durvinen
Padaoul
Kranorvun
Drevdoshul
Derridrol
Dovarul
Breodaoss
Vortidran
Drerokat
Gruhust
Drunbreod
Stredoshan

Edited by hastegan, 22 July 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#7 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

I am Garzurgh! Fear my wrath! This is an incredibly addictive script to play with, I may have to make my own rules! This would be neat on a website for a "click for a random username" feature too!

Alexander.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: java, generator

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download