Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Which Programming Language Should I Learn To Design My Website?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#13 GabryelFall

GabryelFall

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

Could do that, but they wanted to learn and do it themselves. Which, IMHO, is the best way to go about something if you've got the time. Feel free (compnoob) to post and ask questions as you're learning and as you're working on your site. We would be more than happy to help out! :)

#14 compnoob88

compnoob88

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:06 AM

Hello!

Thanks for all the helpful replies! Seems like everybody agrees I should start with HTML and CSS first. I guess I'll start with these two, then start seriously looking into all the other things recommended in the thread; at this point I just can't seem to understand what is a server, host, testing, WAMPserver, XAMPP, server side language, client side language, etc, it's all very abstract/ I'm a real noob. Hopefully it'll all get clearer as I go along :P

Oh, and thanks BlaineSch and GabryelFall for recommending w3Schools, I just checked it out, and it looks much better than this HTML book I borrowed a few days ago:) I've been reading it casually and fiddling around a bit using IE; it's really addictive.

Yup, I'll post here again to let you know how the website goes:) Thanks again!

#15 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:28 AM

Server is a computer specialized in serving other computers with information

Host can either be a nickname for a server, or it could be someone who lets you use their server or parts or their server for your web pages.

Testing is simply the phase you do before having a page work properly.

WAMP server or XAMPP is both packages which installs an Web server (Apache), an SQL Server (MySQL), and PHP Scripting language. This is to enable you to try your work out locally, or even serve other people with our work if you have an public server with it.

Server side language, are like php and perl, programs that are ran on the server, generation the html to show the complete web page for the user.

Client Side language, are like javascript, which is ran within the web browser, modifiying the page on events like clicking a button or filling out a form.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#16 Sparticus9090

Sparticus9090

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

Ya, I would use html and CSS, i just started making websites and got into the hang of it in about a week

#17 markspenser

markspenser

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:21 AM

for designing of only website you do not need to learn any language.
you need to learn only photoshop. now after designing template you need to cut into images then you can create static website.
if your website is data base driven then and then only you need to learn php or microsoft .net or java. other wise you need to learn only html and java script.

#18 scottk

scottk

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:21 AM

It looks like I am the only .NET advocate on this thread but given what you need I think PHP would beat out ASP.NET in this case as you can get free php galleries and have more options for shopping carts. Watch out with the content management systems too -- typically you need a CMS when the person in charge of updating the site is not the developer. I say this because ~once a week I read about a joomla-related security issue.

#19 Guest_arslan220_*

Guest_arslan220_*

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:03 AM

i think you should learn php.

#20 iConquest

iConquest

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:05 AM

I use lightbox on my site to make images' size increase on the same page when you click them.

You'll have to google it - I cant post links.

#21 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

Mines in HTML and CSS and a little JS, but thats cause I don't know PHP! lulz.

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

#22 xsonline

xsonline

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, JavaScript, PL/SQL

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

I can get you started with a very easy to use CMS (Content Management System). Mostly the things you ask for already exist. So why reInvent the wheel? xhtml, css, Javascript, php and mysql still come in handy, but you should not spend too much time on writing everything by yourself.

Also, this doesn't have to cost anything, and it can save you a lot of time! Take a look at Joomla and Virtualmart. This is completely free. For only € 25 per year you can have a website put online and professionally hosted. But it's also possible for free.

#23 xsonline

xsonline

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, JavaScript, PL/SQL

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

I'm planning to start a small business to sell my sewing (handicrafts like cosmetics cases, everyday bags, pencil cases, handphone cases, pouches etc.) I'm thinking of building a website/online store, to allow my business to appear in search listings, and help my sales.

The thing is, I don't know which programming language to learn, and would really like some advice:)

Some things I require from the website:
- I need to upload photographs of the items on sale. I'm thinking maybe a page showing all the thumbnails, and when you click on one the picture gets enlarged.
- I need to integrate Paypal, and credit card payment into the website.
- It needs to be aesthetically pleasing.
- Relatively small website.

I've done C and C++ in college, and I quite like programming. I just don't know which language I should learn for this purpose. I really don't mind any language, even if it is hard to learn, or very different from C and C++, or takes too long (I'll only be launching the website in about 12 months' time); as long as the end product is good. Also, I'm trying to cut costs, so it has to be free (or close to free) to learn it.

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but does the language used affect the speed of download? I don't want to lose views because of slow downloads...

Please advise me! Thanks!

No, the download speed will not be affected by the language you use. However it is affected by the distance from the server and more importantly, the connection speed of the server and the user (and offcourse the number of downloaders).

Like I said before, For what you want, you don't need to program 1 line of code. Many tools already exist and are free to download from the web. What you need is to choose a propper design for your site (have it made, or look for it online), and a good webhost.

Once your website is online, the work only starts. You need to promote your company online.

Depending on what you need, I'd say you could have your site up and running in 5 days with the propper guidelines.

#24 Guest_Kristian Finlay_*

Guest_Kristian Finlay_*

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

PHP is a widely-used, general-purpose scripting language that was originally designed for web development, to produce dynamic web pages.

If u want to develop a website u may approach web development companies to built u r website

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download